Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dropping Bias tread from a GS650L, shafty

Hey team.
    I've seen ZR rims and tires fitted to the bigger bikes (750, 1100 and 1150's). I'm looking to find a means to get ZR tread on my 650. At speed in the twisties the stock bias tread and wheel size combo is creating an interesting feel in the turns. The suspension on the bike is pretty good. I think I need to swap out the front springs for the L springs dive a bit too easily, other then that the new rear shocks and front end is pretty solid... The rebuilt brakes are currently very adequate for shedding speed with this little bike. The tires are pretty great for cruising but pretty not so great in the turns. Tires are perfectly balanced BUT they currently have tubes even though the bike sports tubeless rims. The bike came with a new Dunlop American on the rear and new IRC GS-11 on the front. I really want some better tread for the twisties... The rear feels "alright" but the front tire does not respond well in the turns... Especially after 4 or 5 hard turns with spirited acceleration and deceleration.
    So I was thinking when I ripped up the mountains today what tires or wheel options would compliment the small revvy engine and its extremely flickable and light frame but not compromise the comfort of the bike.
    I've been out if the GS game for a good chunk, is there good (bias or radial)tires to run these days on these stock tubeless rims? If I decide to swap over to ZR(if possible with this little shafty) what wheel options do I have? I can't find ZR tires for this little guy with these rims...
    Anyway Input is always appreciated.
    -Justin
    Jedz Moto
    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
    1988 Honda GL1500-6
    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
    2020 Honda Monkey Z125
    2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
    Originally posted by Hayabuser
    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

What size tires are on it now?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

The Front IRC GS-11 is in inches... 3.5 H19 I believe the stock tread is 90 90 19.

The rear Dunlop American is a MT 90 B16 H47?... Looks like a 130 width .
      Last edited by Jedz123; 05-21-2016, 11:28 PM.
      Jedz Moto
      1980 Suzuki GS1000G
      1988 Honda GL1500-6
      2020 Honda Monkey Z125
      Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

So they must be decades old?

Comment

Get some Sport Demons and call it done. There is no inexpensive solution on how to move to a wider rear wheel.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Nope they are pretty new Tkent. The American is stamped 1615 and IRC is stamped 4814. It was one of the first thing I checked out when I got the bike. Tires were practically new with those new hair nobs still on them, well on the very large chicken strips(they dont exist anymore). I just browsed eBay and you can still grab these tires new... The IRC comes in inch size. It's a replicant tire to replace the stock Firestone's that came on the CB's. Apparently to give that factory fresh look to vintage machines.

Who said I was seeking an inexpensive solution Nessiem? . I'll check out the sport demons. I'm guessing I would need to replace the swing arm for a wider tire huh...
            Last edited by Jedz123; 05-22-2016, 07:09 AM.
            Jedz Moto
            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
            1988 Honda GL1500-6
            2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

There are companies that can widen the wheels.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                There are companies that can widen the wheels.
                Maybe but how far could the be widened without hitting the shaft?Not much is my guess,defiantly not enough to fit radial tires. Thinking on it further didn't I see that Continental makes radials in vintage sizes.For Jedz I'd think a set of Sport Demons might be the easy answer.

Comment

The Continental Attack is made in a radial that would fit the front but nothing that would fit that 16" in the back rim. I would like to think the Sport Demons ran tubeless will be a world ahead with what I have right now in the front and rear. The rear is ok, I'm just dumbfounded why the PO had the shop but tubes in a tubeless tire on a tubeless rim... (rear) the IRC is a tube type, that thing is smooth to ride on but break 70mph or get hard in multiple turns and it will let you know it's really not up for the job. It works well though and rides very smooth at cruising speed.

I wasn't sure if I could swap to a 850 rim or not with this bike. Ive read the 850 had a 17" out there which will allow me to run a radial in the both front and back.
                  Jedz Moto
                  1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                  1988 Honda GL1500-6
                  2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
                    I'm just dumbfounded why the PO had the shop but tubes in a tubeless tire on a tubeless rim...
                    Why do you say you have tubeless rims? Simply being cast does not make them tubeless, they must also carry the 'MT' designation and I don't think any of the GS wheels ever had that.

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
                    I wasn't sure if I could swap to a 850 rim or not with this bike. Ive read the 850 had a 17" out there which will allow me to run a radial in the both front and back.
                    No GS 17" wheel will be wide enough to run a radial tire, you need a minimum width of 3.5" for all the 130 and 140 rear tires I have seen.

Mark
                    1982 GS1100E
                    1998 ZX-6R
                    2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Jedz I have Dunlop 404's on her 750L running tubeless and it will get down and boogie in the turns. The rear was done last year and the front was done last week. I haven't had an opportunity to really push it since I HATE the bars (and she loves them, go figure) but I have been able to reduce the chicken strips to less than an inch or so front and rear in short order. We are running 100/90-19 front and 130/90-16 in the rear.

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
                        Why do you say you have tubeless rims? Simply being cast does not make them tubeless, they must also carry the 'MT' designation and I don't think any of the GS wheels ever had that.
                        Mark they have the words cast "Tubeless Tire Applicable" on the rims... I know most GS bikes have tube style mags but these are indeed the tubeless style rims... I have had a few GS bikes that could run tubeless. 2 out of the 3 GRs I had also could run tubeless. The few spoked rimed GS (and 3rd GR) I've had could not.

Thanks for the input Shadow, I'll likely run Sport Demons tubless as recommended. The IRC was nice but after a +100 mile ride two up the tire felt odd at speed or in the turns. It'll be looking to grab some tread after I get the tires set for the Connie first. I got another BRP trip to ready her for at the tail end of next month.
                        Last edited by Jedz123; 05-22-2016, 07:01 PM.
                        Jedz Moto
                        1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                        1988 Honda GL1500-6
                        2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

You don't have to look for 850 wheels, the 650G had 17" rims on the back. It was only the L bikes that had 16s.

You mentioned something about replacing the swingarm for a larger wheel/tire combo? Good luck with that. The left side of the swingarm houses the shaft. There is no practical way to make the swingarm bigger to accomodate a wider wheel/tire. You are pretty much limited to the 130 width, it would be best to just find the best-gripping tire in that size.

As mentioned, the Sport Demons are good. Avons are pretty decent, too. Bwringer was pleasantly surprised at the grip available with the Shinko Tour Master 230, but found they did not last long enough for him. The Avons lasted about twice as long and cost less than twice as much, for a lower cost per mile. Not sure where the Sport Demons fall in there.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Sport demons don't last as long as Avon RoadRiders, but are very sticky. Avon RoadRunners are a so so tire, nothing special, not even remotely as good as the RoadRiders.

Unlike on cars, I haven't seen much advantage to radials on bikes, they don't last any longer, not much if any stickier than GOOD bias ply tires. They are a little bit lighter if you consider that an advantage.

Comment

I run the Bridgestone Bt45's on my 1000G and like them, I tried a set of Shinko's and the bike handled like a truck, lost all of it's nimbleness. I highly recommend the BT45's ( and I ride the bike hard)
                              1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                              80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                              1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
                              83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                              85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                              1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                              “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                              If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Working...
                              X