Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS850 Front Forks - Are All Years Universal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850 Front Forks - Are All Years Universal?

What's up all, I tried searching for this and came up short. I'm sure someone has a simple answer.

The inner tubes of my 1980 GS850 have pits that are ruining my front forks seal. I can't find an OEM to replace except a $225 each version.

I'd like to get a used set off of Ebay. Just wondering before I pull the trigger if 1979-83 are using the same forks? Really hard to find something that won't do the same thing so it'd be nice to open up my options to other years.

Cheers!

No, there are four separate model numbers involved. Not sure what the differences are but here they are:

'79-'81 850G and 1000G
    '82-'83 850G and 1000G
    '79 1000L and '80 850GL and '80 1000GL
    '81-'83 850GL and '81 1000GL and '82-'83 1100GL

The obvious difference will be the L forks, which will be longer. Not sure about the others.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Starting in '82 (I think) the G models at least have the air balance port that requires some extra parts to make the pneumatic connection between them. Check the parts diagrams at an online retailer. I don't recommend trying to maintain air pressure in the forks (just make correct length preload spacers), but you do need the extra parts in order to close the forks and keep oil in and contamination out. Keep that in mind when buying used fork sets. Steve usually also points out that the L model forks have an offset angle requiring different triple clamps. Not sure why he didn't mention it this time.

Don't forget that used forks off of eBay may have pits too small to see in pics (look for good pics, or pass on it), and they may be slightly bent. Once you get them disassembled for rebuilding, roll the chrome tubes against each other to see if there are gaps between them or places where they don't roll consistently. If there is a bend, and it's small enough to tolerate, mark the tube so you know which way the bend is. When installing on the bike, align the tubes to make sure you get smooth motion of the wheel assembly without sticking.
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
        Steve usually also points out that the L model forks have an offset angle requiring different triple clamps. Not sure why he didn't mention it this time.
        Because he was only asking about the inner tubes. Those don't affect the offset, just the lower (outer) tubes, which offset the axle. The different triples are necessary to bring the fork tubes back a bit, keeping the axle in pretty much the same place, but at the expense of hitting the fuel tank when turned. That is one reason the L models have smaller tanks.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Oh, that's why. I don't think I've never seen just the chrome tubes on eBay, so I assumed the opposite.
          Dogma
          --
          O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
          '80 GS850 GLT
          '80 GS1000 GT
          '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Working...
          X