Broken Shock Stud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post

And another note, shock studs are not replaceable so putting a new bit on is not possible

Ahem....

sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Sorry Tatu, I misread your original thread as you used a bolt but see now it's an extra stud. Wish I had one like that and access to a lathe
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Ugghhh, I hate my life sometimes. Cut off the old threads, drilled out the hole, and was cutting what I figured would be the last turn when the dang tap broke off inside.

I ended up cutting off the stud and i'm going to now drill through the frame to slide in a M12x1.50x100mm long bolt. If this works then my friend will weld it into place for me.

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

Soooo close.
          The bad thing with tapping is that you have all the work done till you hear that snap.
          I liked tatu's procedure too.
          Last edited by AMK; 07-05-2016, 12:35 PM.
          Alan

sigpic
          Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
          Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
          Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
          Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

The tap is a pain to drill out but you might be able to drill through it with a carbide drill bit. You can get a large enough automotive exhaust manifold stud to do the fix. Most auto parts stores will have 1/2" exhaust manifold studs in stock which is about the same size as an M12 bolt. You can just screw it into the tapped hole and then tack weld it. I would recommend using cutting oil (not WD40) when doing this stuff and to use a carbide tap... not one of those made in China no-names from Harbor Freight. I have give you some free advice on this but I have myself paid for this bit of education. Most taps ARE made in China these days but reputable brands won't snap like the ones that come in the $10 kit from Harbor Freight.

Comment

Keeping as much of the original stud would be preferable. Hitting the bottom of the hole with the tap will increase the odds of breakage.
              At this point I would highly recommend tatu's fix. If that fails then weld.
              Alan

sigpic
              Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

I don't have a parts bike to take a stud off of so I'm working with the bolt idea. I'm going by Dayton Tool Crib tomorrow to get a 12mm drill bit since the best I can do for now is a 1/2" (12.7mm). If I cannot get the 12mm drill bit then I'll work with the 1/2" go from there.

My friend will then weld in the bolt to ensure it doesn't go anywhere. Thank you all for the help.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

I would use the highest grade bolt you can find if you replace the whole thing. 10.9 minimum would be my thinking.
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

We're done with it after my friend welded in the bolt this evening. We then installed the shock and he tested it by jumping on it with all of his close to 300 pounds. I'll give it a test ride with my own 200 pounds either tomorrow or Sunday to see how it holds up but for now it's pretty solid. No, she won't be allowed on it until I have ran the bike for a few dozen miles to ensure it won't bust on her

Last edited by cowboyup3371; 07-08-2016, 09:51 PM.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

I'd say dress up that joint with a file so the washer can fit up against it better and you will be set.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                        I don't have a parts bike to take a stud off of so I'm working with the bolt idea. I'm going by Dayton Tool Crib tomorrow to get a 12mm drill bit since the best I can do for now is a 1/2" (12.7mm). If I cannot get the 12mm drill bit then I'll work with the 1/2" go from there.

My friend will then weld in the bolt to ensure it doesn't go anywhere. Thank you all for the help.
                        It's good that you have resolved this.
                        Just to say that the same method can be used using an ordinary bolt, also to add that the original stud on the bike is nothing special, just plain old mild steel.
                        sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Good deal. You should be fine.
                          Alan

sigpic
                          Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Ah... part of the fun of having a 30+ year old bike, eh...?

So, at some point here, we should have an update to the "new rider" thread.....?

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Looks frail to me. All of the weight is on the welded bolt, not on the thicker shoulder as it was originally. When you will find out is when you hit a big hole or something and bottom the shock hard, probably not when you want a shock mount to break off. A few dozen miles is not likely to bottom out the shock, which will put many many times the stress on that weld that a 300 lb rider does sitting on it.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                              X