No announcement yet.

Nitrogen in tires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Even autocrossing, it was pretty common for me to have to let air out between every run. Each run is about 60 seconds. Nitrogen would be a benefit even in that kind of racing. Why not open the drain on your air compressor and let all of the water out once in a while, and imagine how badly you want that in your tires. I would prefer dry air or nitrogen, but I have neither at home, so oh well.
    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

For racing applications, where every tiny bit matters, it may be justified.

Comment

It's your money lads. Do what pleases you. Although one might ponder filling the tires with liquid nitrogen.

So... let's assume the bike is upright or at best, 2.7 to 3.4 degrees to vertical as measured from+ or -10 or fewer degrees from true North and you have invested the several hundred dollars for the liquid Nitrogen Dewar and proper transfer tubing, fittings, etc.

Letting the 78% normal atmospheric air out of the tires will not purge the entire tire of all the 78% normal atmospheric air. Leaving the bike on the ground will push out more air. If you begin filling a tire with the liquid Nitrogen at this point you may notice it doesn't take long before the bike is not rising off the ground but rather the now frozen tire is breaking into pieces.

Therefore the bike should be up off the ground. Determining how much liquid nitrogen is needed to fill the tire is a definite concern and must be monitored so as not to overfill.

As the liquid Nitrogen boils off to gas there will be some of that 78% atmospheric air trapped at the top of the tire. To release this trapped air, simply drill a small hole in the tire tread. It can be plugged later.

Sure, there is bound to be a learning curve involved and some trial and error but in racing every little bit helps. Other performance enhancement that might help would be; on the evening before race day one might choose to consume fewer beer and less pizza.

Comment

Ive worked in industrial gas for 32 years and ........... if you absolutely have to waste money go for Argon or, better still one of the heavier noble gases like Zenon..... maybe Helium to reduce unsprung weight by .000000000002 oz

your hard earned dollars are much appreciated
          78 GS1000C- Now sporting 1100E suspension and numerous goodies
          82 GS750E/82 1100E/ GSXR Frankenstein bike completed
          83 1100E "rescue bike" saved from the barn
          2008 Bking - Torque Torque Torque
          Next project slowly coalescing

Comment

Ridiculousness in the name of science. ...

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
            Interesting. ... I need to replace 2 tires, and have a vacuum pump in the work van.... could be an interesting experiment if nothing else....
            Originally posted by Boba View Post
            Fill them with nitrogen, then hook a vacuum pump up to the valve stem and pull to 500 microns. Then refill with nitrogen. (>.>)

(^.^)
            Well, I didn't pull out the micron gauge, but here's what happened when connected to the vacuum pump.
            sigpic
            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
            -Rusty old scooter.
            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺

Comment

Well, I didn't pull out the micron gauge, [ATTACH=CONFIG]50010[/ATTACH]but here's what happened when connected to the vacuum pump.

Hmm...one way to break the bead.
                sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

That was the kicker. The bead held fast.
                  sigpic
                  When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                  -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

That was the kicker. The bead held fast.
                    The tire bead? The tire looks all distorted in your pic.
                    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

The tread collapsed, the sidewalls pulled in, and the bead came away from the rim edge a bit, but it didn't break loose or even suck any air in.
                      sigpic

Glen
                      -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

I can't say for sure that it would pull but..
                        The difference in flex on a newer tire compared to one that has seen a couple thousand miles is huge.
                        Stiffer sidewalls and it might... pull off the bead.
                        Last edited by Guest; 03-01-2017, 07:42 PM.

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                          97 R1100R
                          Previous
                          80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Memories.... thats how my father used to seat backhoe tires. It was always exciting...
                            sigpic

Glen
                            -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Working...
                            X