78 GS1000E ''Euro''

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 GS1000E ''Euro''

I just purchased my 2nd GS1000E, a 78 that the previous owner bought new in Toronto Canada in early 79. This bike is all original with the exception of a Vetter style fairing. It does have spoke wheels, single solid (no holes) disc in front and the speedo shows 13,866 km (roughly 8,600 miles). I don't have pics yet but it's the burgundy with red striped tank. My question, is this a ''Euro'' version white these wheels and single disc? As the previous owner is a 72 year old gentleman and said he changed nothing with the exception of the addition of the fairing. My 79 has the mags and dual drilled discs.Any one ran into this before?
    Last edited by Guest; 10-22-2016, 10:52 PM.

You are describing a 'C' model
    sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Found these in the gallery.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

That's the standard model GS 1000, USA version, in red. Mine came in blue. It does not have a letter designation, C is the model year

So, it is not a GS1000 E

The E models have cast wheels, dual front brakes and a couple more features.
        Last edited by Big T; 10-23-2016, 12:55 AM.
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by BIKER BILL View Post
          I just purchased my 2nd GS1000E, a 78 that the previous owner bought new in Toronto Canada in early 79. This bike is all original with the exception of a Vetter style fairing. It does have spoke wheels, single solid (no holes) disc in front and the speedo shows 13,866 km (roughly 8,600 miles). I don't have pics yet but it's the burgundy with red striped tank. My question, is this a ''Euro'' version white these wheels and single disc? As the previous owner is a 72 year old gentleman and said he changed nothing with the exception of the addition of the fairing. My 79 has the mags and dual drilled discs.Any one ran into this before?
          IF it's a spoked 18" rear wheel in those colors then .....FullSizeRender.jpg

ITs 100% unequivocally a 'C' model - I have the exact same bike
          78 GS1000C- Now sporting 1100E suspension and numerous goodies
          82 GS750E/82 1100E/ GSXR Frankenstein bike completed
          83 1100E "rescue bike" saved from the barn
          2008 Bking - Torque Torque Torque
          Next project slowly coalescing

Comment

Welcome to the site, Biker Bill.
            Just curious, do you know where in Toronto he purchased the bike?
            I bought a couple GS from McBrides Cycle in that era.
            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Thanks everyone for the replies, and yes that's exactly the bike. So, it's a ''C'' , ok what's the difference other than what is previously mentioned? The speedo is kilo's only. Sorry, i don't have the name of the dealer in Canada where it was purchased, it was on the paperwork i turned in to DMV to get a NC title, a nightmare i won't go into.

Comment

Bill,

C is the year designation for 1978

There has been a long time misconception that C is a model number, it is not

Anyway, post up some pictures when you get a chance
                Last edited by Big T; 10-23-2016, 02:26 PM.
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Thanks again for the info on my ''new'' bike. I will post the pics i have, more later.IMG_3244.jpg

Comment

One moreIMG_3245.jpg

Comment

Just to add to the mix, it looks like an E seat with the step.
                      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I have a 79 E with the same identical seat. The original owner says he purchased bike at Suzuki dealer and nothing has been changed with the exception of the fairing. So, that's all i have to go on.

Comment

Also the seat is a 79 pattern, small squares. Bin the fairing !, bike will look lots better
                          My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

Originally posted by uk gs nut View Post
                            Also the seat is a 79 pattern, small squares. Bin the fairing !, bike will look lots better
                            The fairing has been ''BINNED'' , as we totally agree on that!

Comment

Originally posted by uk gs nut View Post
                              That Vetter is a Wixom, iirc.
                              I agree, that's one ugly sob. Much better with a Vetter
                              ---- Dave
                              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                              X