Do the fork bushes wear out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do the fork bushes wear out?

The front end feels a little weird on the 550 in recent months and I'm wondering if I need to replace the fork oil and maybe do something more for it.

I read that they recommend I replace the copper bushes. Is this an easy job? I know I'll probably need to replace the oil seals as well. But the last time I had the forks apart it looked to me like those copper bushes were hard to put on or remove without damaging them.

Has anyone done this job?

I havent had to replace any and ive got well over 48,000 on my 77 750. If the front end feels wiggly then first culprits I would look at are wheel bearing and steering stem bearings and adjustment. Those bushings do wear but it takes a heck of a LOOOOOONG time to wear them out. Swing arm bearings can also fool you into thinking its a front end problem so inspect the free play on the swing arm as well. Remove the back wheel and shake and twist the heck out of it to see if you detect any looseness.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

If you're taking the forks apart it makes sense to replace them.

I believe its the root to my speed wobble issue.....

click vid
      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by DimitriT View Post
        The front end feels a little weird on the 550 in recent months and I'm wondering if I need to replace the fork oil and maybe do something more for it.

I read that they recommend I replace the copper bushes. Is this an easy job? I know I'll probably need to replace the oil seals as well. But the last time I had the forks apart it looked to me like those copper bushes were hard to put on or remove without damaging them.

With 48K+ miles I'd say you're due for bushings. Not a super hard job, but it can be just a little fiddly getting the old ones out. The proper size fork seal driver makes putting things back together a lot easier.
        '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

???? I said my 750 has 48+ on it and there arent any stearing issues. He didnt say what miles he has that i saw. In any case, if its not problematic I dont see reasons to make it problematic.
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

But Chuck what of sliding friction and binbding?
            1983 GS 550 LD
            2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
              I havent had to replace any and ive got well over 48,000 on my 77 750. If the front end feels wiggly then first culprits I would look at are wheel bearing and steering stem bearings and adjustment. Those bushings do wear but it takes a heck of a LOOOOOONG time to wear them out. Swing arm bearings can also fool you into thinking its a front end problem so inspect the free play on the swing arm as well. Remove the back wheel and shake and twist the heck out of it to see if you detect any looseness.
              There are no replaceable fork bushings in a 1977 GS750 fork so it would be hard to wear them out. The lower replaceable bushings come in the 1980 and later model forks. By 1982 most Suzuki forks have upper and lower bushings that are replaceable. Dar

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                ???? I said my 750 has 48+ on it and there arent any stearing issues. He didnt say what miles he has that i saw. In any case, if its not problematic I dont see reasons to make it problematic.
                Mileage is in the spreadsheet he linked to. I've never seen 48K bushings that didn't show enough wear to warrant replacement.
                Wear on suspension components happens slowly, so you don't really notice it until you replace the worn parts and see how much better the bike feels and handles.
                '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Thought those grey nylon things with the diagonal split in them were bushings. Maybe it wasnt the 750 that has them but I do remember seeing them in forks.

Comment

I had to replace my seals this year, so for the modest cost of the bushings, I figured I'd do them while it was apart. The bushings were fairly simple to replace. I had a harshness in the front end, and it would go into a shake while coasting with no hands on the handlebars. Renewing the parts seems to have cured this.
                    sigpic
                    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                    -Rusty old scooter.
                    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by DimitriT View Post

Not on a 550, but they are easy to do on my 1100E. The top bush comes out with the fork seal so that is no problem and the bottom one comes off easy with a bit of help from a flat bladed screwdriver. If you are doing seals and oil and don't know the mileage on the bushes you might as well replace them just for cheap piece of mind while you are in there. I would also suggest that you follow chuck hahn's advice and check the wheel and steering head bearings while you are at it, as they are very likely the culprits when front end handling has gone off.

Mark
                      1982 GS1100E
                      1998 ZX-6R
                      2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                        I had to replace my seals this year, so for the modest cost of the bushings, I figured I'd do them while it was apart. The bushings were fairly simple to replace. I had a harshness in the front end, and it would go into a shake while coasting with no hands on the handlebars. Renewing the parts seems to have cured this.
                        Head shake with no hands on the bars is usually due to bad steering head bearings or loose steering head bearing torque. With the front wheel elevated (removal helps more) This is easily checked
                        Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                        Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                        Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Thanks. I checked when doing the seals and it seemed ok. The front tire is shot also, which is on the list this winter, along with the rear. I'll recheck.
                          sigpic
                          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                          -Rusty old scooter.
                          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

It only takes a little bit of cupping on the rear tire to cause handlebar shake with no hands on the bars, especially coasting downhill.
                            Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                            '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                            '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                            '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                            '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Worn rear shocks are probably the biggest contributor to headshake, but it's really a systems issue, lots of things factor in.

Comment

Working...
                              X