gs750 wheel swaps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs750 wheel swaps?

I have what I think is a 88 katana 600 front end to swap onto my 77 gs750. my problem is I cant find any information on what I need to use to beable to have a matching rear wheel. is there a swingarm I can swap with minimal work that will allow me to use the same wheel for the rear? if not then what wheels can I use that will match the katana front end and the gs750 or gs 1000 rear swingarm?
    IMG_20170106_144002967.jpg

I've never used teapot wheels from that period - first guess is that you'll need a matching 3.5' rear rim carrying a 140 tire

This will probably be too much for stock swingarm and alignment so you'd need a later 1100E swingarm ( which will require either bushing or your frame drilling as it uses a different pivot point) ---- OR ____ I'm pretty sure that year Teapot ( I refuse to call it a Katana - Its NOT) had a steel swingarm in which buying a whole back end (wheel, swingarm, caliper etc) case welding some lugs onto it for rear shocks might be a cheaper/easier option

Either way - Keep your existing sprocket carrier and spacer and you'll probably need an offset sprocket (at least 1/4" maybe 3/8")
    78 GS1000C- Now sporting 1100E suspension and numerous goodies
    82 GS750E/82 1100E/ GSXR Frankenstein bike completed
    83 1100E "rescue bike" saved from the barn
    2008 Bking - Torque Torque Torque
    Next project slowly coalescing

Comment

Originally posted by bsharpish View Post
      I've never used teapot wheels from that period - first guess is that you'll need a matching 3.5' rear rim carrying a 140 tire

This will probably be too much for stock swingarm and alignment so you'd need a later 1100E swingarm ( which will require either bushing or your frame drilling as it uses a different pivot point) ---- OR ____ I'm pretty sure that year Teapot ( I refuse to call it a Katana - Its NOT) had a steel swingarm in which buying a whole back end (wheel, swingarm, caliper etc) case welding some lugs onto it for rear shocks might be a cheaper/easier option

Either way - Keep your existing sprocket carrier and spacer and you'll probably need an offset sprocket (at least 1/4" maybe 3/8")
      what about the 3 spoke wheels from that same model?

Comment

How did this work out for you? I am working with similar parts. I want to put the suspension from a 2000 Teapot(katana) on my 85 GS700E. I have the benefit of having a pretty complete donor, but would really like to avoid a lot of fabrication.

Comment

Working...
        X