Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fork swap that easy? (I know its probably been asked 1000x)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork swap that easy? (I know its probably been asked 1000x)

My 78 gs750 was butchered by the previous owner. Has an 1100 rear swingarm and he was in the process of upgrading to dual front calipers. However it stopped at one 2 piston caliper of a smaller bike so I'm pretty sure braking is worse. Not sure of the make of the wheel/disk or forks used. Forks seem to be stock. I have tried to research a modern USD fork conversion and I know people are sensitive about this, but my bike is no beauty queen and its already been modded so I'm not stopping. I am under the impression that modern gsxr full front swap is as easy as new bearings and fabbing steering stop. Is that really all that is needed for a 78 gs750 to fit new gsxr front end?

Technically, yes. As long as the bearings fit and the steering stops are in place it will "work".

However, there are other things to consider....like fork length, spring rates, wheel / tyre size.

From what I recall the 1st gen GSXR 1100 USD forks are the longest of the lot which preserves ride height the best. Downside is you dont get radial calipers.
    Current:
    Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
    VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
    And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

I used a 88-92 GSXR front end and it was a bolt on, just steering stops needed to be fabricated. It made a big difference in handling.
      80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

Working...
      X