Shock help please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shock help please!

Hi everyone. I would like to get some new rear shocks for my 1977 gs750. I am having a hard time getting the right size to order though. When I measure I get 323mm or 12 3/4" but most fitment checkers online say 340mm fit. Could it be that the original shocks are just sagging. I really want to get the right size. Any help would be great.

Are you measuring it with the rear tire off the ground so the shock is fully extended?
    1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Yah, tire is off the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Dub-K113 View Post
        Yah, tire is off the ground.
        Then there can't be any spring sag involved. I'd go by your measurements.
        1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Another common meaurement that is easy to find is 13" or 330mm.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks, I am just confused as to what is the actual size. No site is recommending what I have measured. How much is it going to matter? I have scoured the internet and can't fing the size, not even in clymers. Someone here must know. Or at least recommend a shock size.

Comment

Anything between 320 and 340 would likely work. Most are of the opinion that 330 is probably stock.

The things to watch for are overall ride height and clearance under the fender at full compression.

Unless you have specific preferences, Hagon shocks work well and are rather affordable from Z1 Enterprises or Dave Quinn Motorsports.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thank you very much!

Comment

I just got and installed my Hagon Slims today...OMG the ride difference. I was floating on the road... couldn't really test them out cuz it's raining too much right now. I replaced the OEM shocks...after 36 years...it was time. The ride and response of the bike was extremely noticeable. Only took me 15 minutes to get them on. Total time from set up to clean up without help was less than 30 mins. YES I suggest the Hagon's. $233 (twin shocks/springs/shipping) from Davequinnmotorcycles.com 203-393-2651 ...ordered on a Friday arrived on Wednesday. I'm happy.
                  Last edited by Guest; 02-22-2017, 08:34 PM. Reason: added supplier contact info.

Comment

Hagons are better than progressives in my opinion. You forget they are even there and no bad surprises. Great handling and nice ride. And they are less expensive.
                    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

For what it's worth, I am also rebuilding a 77 GS750 and plan to upgrade to 13" shocks when the $$ allows (although shocks are not very high up on the priorities list - she's in rough shape)
                      Last edited by RJordan09; 02-22-2017, 11:14 PM.
                      -Rich

1982 GS850GL - WE DID IT! Introduction

Comment

I have hagons on my 1K an progressives on my 650. The progressives are harsher for sure. I have matching fork Springs on both to complement.
                        Take a hard look at hagons.
                        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Progressive recommends 13"/330mm shocks for the early GS750 on their website...
                          Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
                          2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                          1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Working...
                          X