rear shocks on GS 850GT (? re: washers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rear shocks on GS 850GT (? re: washers)

I just removed my rear shocks in order to clean them and replace the tire. On the top right side, there were 3 washers inside the shock and three outside. On the top left side, only one washer inside, on the bottom right, one washer in and out, and on the bottom left, two washers inside and one out...is this normal to be so wonky? It looks to me like I would need enough washers to fill up the un-threaded part (including the width of the shock) and have the cap bolt put pressure on the whole thing. I can't figure out why they would be different. Can someone verify the setup on theirs?

Thanks,
    Peter

It does sound like someone put in various numbers of washers, and that does not match up with the parts diagram. Are you missing the grab handle?

'83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

I am not sure why I didn't just go to the manual myself...a bit of a brain lapse there. Thanks for that. I do have the grab handle but things were definitely off regardless. I have found several things missing or out of place on this bike so far.
      Have a great day.
      Peter

Comment

Anyone have a source for washers that fit the specs for the shock mounts? If I go to Babbits Online, nothing is cheaper than 2.95...so $3 for each washer. I can go to Lowes and get 6 for about $1.00. Is there any reason I can't get "close enough" when putting washers around the shocks? The fiche shows very specific sizes and thicknesses in a very specific order. I cannot figure out why. I don't want to screw anything up but I would rather not spend $3 a washer if I can help it.
        Thanks.

Comment

First of all, don't shop at Babbit's.

Try Parts Outlaw.

Looking at the page for your washers, you will see that they are considerably cheaper, but still not a cheap as what you will find in the 'big box' store.

Then, when you get to the checkout page, enter the word BANG in the promo box, shipping will likely be $1, not the $9.95 that Babbit's charges.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

They're just freakin' washers. Go to any hardware store and buy what ever works, it doesn't matter. Get stainless and they won't rust.
            Rob
            1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
            Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

That is why I asked the question. They list very specific washers with differing thicknesses and diameters. I am asking if there is something that I am missing that is crucial to the proper function of the shocks. I would assume that there is a reason why one side has a thick washer then two thin ones, versus a different order on the other side, etc.

Originally posted by azr View Post
              They're just freakin' washers. Go to any hardware store and buy what ever works, it doesn't matter. Get stainless and they won't rust.

Comment

Thanks Steve. checking now. I appreciate the promo code too!

Comment

The one side has a thicker washer because the left side has the grab handle. Basically just put several washers behind the shock and eyeball the shock to make sure it looks straight.
                  Rob
                  1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                  Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Thanks azr
                    Originally posted by azr View Post
                    The one side has a thicker washer because the left side has the grab handle. Basically just put several washers behind the shock and eyeball the shock to make sure it looks straight.

Comment

Working...
                    X