Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Were GS rims ever meant to use tubeless tires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Were GS rims ever meant to use tubeless tires?

I was checking the tire pressure on my 1980 GS750E's tires last night & while looking for the maximum tire pressure reading, noticed that the Dunlops on it are listed as "Tube Type".

This got me to wondering if, considering that they used shouldered alloy rims, these early GS bikes were capable of being fitted with tubeless tires?

Anyone have, or have had, any personal experience with this?

Don't just look at the tire, look at the WHEEL. Some GSes, starting in '80 or '81 came with wheels that said "Tubless Tire Applicable" cast into the rib in the middle of the rim.

Some have "converted" their tube-type rims to tubeless with decent results, but that is pretty much the luck of the draw.

I think the shafties went tubeless first, then the rest of them, so by '83 they were all tubeless.

I have '82 wheels on my '80 850, they are marked for tubeless and I run them that way.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by 82tiburon View Post
      I was checking the tire pressure on my 1980 GS750E's tires last night & while looking for the maximum tire pressure reading, noticed that the Dunlops on it are listed as "Tube Type".

This got me to wondering if, considering that they used shouldered alloy rims, these early GS bikes were capable of being fitted with tubeless tires?

Anyone have, or have had, any personal experience with this?
      How old are those tires? You should check the date code and replace them if they are more than 7 years old or so. Tube type tires are very rare these days, being supplanted by tubeless, although it's okay to run a tube inside a tubeless type tire if the rim so dictates.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

You know it possibly could be fitted with tubeless tires, but it originally came with tubes, front and back. What does that tell you?
        I stick with tires that work with those rims and tubes also, more for safety concerns than anything else.

Shop online for OEM Rear Wheel parts that fit your 1980 Suzuki GS750E, search all our OEM Parts or call at (231)737-4542

Shop online for OEM Front Wheel parts that fit your 1980 Suzuki GS750E, search all our OEM Parts or call at (231)737-4542
        sigpic
        Steve
        "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
          You know it possibly could be fitted with tubeless tires, but it originally came with tubes, front and back. What does that tell you?
          That tire technology has changed in the last 37 years? You can be ultra conservative if you want, but the fact is that many, many of us are running tubeless with no issues and getting better performance and longer tire life.

Mark
          1982 GS1100E
          1998 ZX-6R
          2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
            I stick with tires that work with those rims and tubes also, more for safety concerns than anything else.

Shop online for OEM Rear Wheel parts that fit your 1980 Suzuki GS750E, search all our OEM Parts or call at (231)737-4542

http://www.suzukipartshouse.com/oemp...b0/front-wheel
            Are you saying you run non-tubeless tyres on your GS? What brand / model are they?
            Current:
            Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
            VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
            And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

I've been running tubeless for about 6 years on my '78 1000. You'll need to get the high pressure metal clamp type of valve stem found at auto part stores. I actually had to enlarge the hole a little for it to work. There is plenty of material. This isn't the exact one I used, but it's close enough to see how it will seal up the valve stem hole.
              Last edited by gsrick; 07-12-2017, 12:18 AM.
              GSRick
              No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
              Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

To the orginal question. If they have the safety bead yes. If they don't, no. They will hold air if that's all that matters.
                Last edited by Sandy; 07-12-2017, 02:04 AM.
                '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Working...
                X