Fork Springs? Which ones.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork Springs? Which ones.

OK, I like the soft ride but it is too easy to bottom and the air won't stay in.
    Time for some Spring .
    According to my weight 180lbs. And the bike weight bout 500lbs the sonic
    Shows .90 or .95.
    Which one or should I go Progressive?
    I ride mostly County back roads,45-55mph.
    I don't fly through the curves. Just want a smooth conformable ride.
    Help?

Im using sonic springs as Rich Desmond here was very helpful in answering my questions and the prices are good and they work great.
    Just give him a call or send a PM and let him know what you are trying to accomplish and he'll get you pretty close.
    1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Originally posted by 81gs7501166 View Post
      OK, I like the soft ride but it is too easy to bottom and the air won't stay in.
      Time for some Spring .
      According to my weight 180lbs. And the bike weight bout 500lbs the sonic
      Shows .90 or .95.
      Which one or should I go Progressive?
      I ride mostly County back roads,45-55mph.
      I don't fly through the curves. Just want a smooth conformable ride.
      Help?
      Progressive Suspension springs will be too soft, go with Sonic. Rich Desmond will probably be along shortly with his excellent advice, but before that I will say you want the 0.95 springs and 10W fork oil. I weigh 190lb and ride harder than you do; he suggested the 1.0 rate for me and if anything it is still a touch on the soft side (which is the right way to go for a big, heavy old bike like the GS).

Mark
      1982 GS1100E
      1998 ZX-6R
      2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Yep, 0.95s and 10w.
        '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Thanks
          Any discount for ordering on the forum?

Comment

Thanks
            Any discount for ordering on the forum?
            We don't do any discounting, I prefer to give everyone the same price. Fairer, easier, and no secret handshakes or code words needed.
            If you compare I think you'll find that our regular price is as low or lower than a "discount" price you'll get from the other guys.
            '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
              We don't do any discounting, I prefer to give everyone the same price. Fairer, easier, and no secret handshakes or code words needed.
              If you compare I think you'll find that our regular price is as low or lower than a "discount" price you'll get from the other guys.
              Awe come on, no secret handshakes?? Haha
              My Motorcycles:
              22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
              22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
              82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
              81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
              79 1000e (all original)
              82 850g (all original)
              80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

I will be buying Sonics as soon as I figure out how to rebuild the forks. The prices are great and you have the owner here on the forums. Can't beat that!

I also like to play with online calculators to find their thresholds. I really like Sonic's find your spring rate tool.
                Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
                2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Originally posted by hannibal View Post
                  I will be buying Sonics as soon as I figure out how to rebuild the forks.
                  You do have the factory service manual, right? It's all in there. The only tricky part is getting the damper rod bolt loose in the bottom of the fork slider, after that it is easy-peasy basic mechanical work.

Mark
                  1982 GS1100E
                  1998 ZX-6R
                  2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

OK for now just changing the oil,might do Springs in winter.
                    Recommend some Oil?
                    Thanks all.
                    8oz if I looked Right?
                    Getting the Bugs out!

Comment

OK for now just changing the oil,might do Springs in winter.
                      Recommend some Oil?
                      Thanks all.
                      8oz if I looked Right?
                      Getting the Bugs out!
                      Don't use a set volume, set the level instead. Use 10w, set the level to 100mm
                      Level is defined as the distance between the top of the fork tube and the top of the oil in the tube, and is set with the spring and spacer out, forks collapsed. Because of the way it’s measured a smaller number means more oil. In other words, you're setting the air gap.
                      A handy item for this is a turkey baster. Measure the desired distance from the tip up and mark that spot with a sharpie or a piece of tape. Make sure that there’s a little more oil than needed in the tube, then align the mark with the top of the fork tube and suck any excess out.

Comment

Thanks,it on my to do list soon as I get my tires on.

Comment

Working...
                        X