Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question- what's the difference between the GS and GT spoked front rims?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question- what's the difference between the GS and GT spoked front rims?

I've been wanting {still do} a set of spoked rims for my GS1000G and was looking at a spoked GT750 front rim, just for the hub really, and wondered what the difference was between the earlier GT spoked front rims and the later GS spoked front rims? Anything hub wise?

My wish would be a spoked front rim, dual discs, 18" hoop to mount on my '95 GSX-R USD forks that are going on my '80 GS1000G restomod.

The GT triples have either 19x1.6 or 19x1.85 front rims. The two strokes with a disc brake & 18” rim have an 18x1.6 rim
    On two strokes with drum brake & 18” rim, the rim spoke angle will not be correct for using with a disc brake hub.
    Suzuki used an 18x1.85 rim + disc brake on some of the smaller GSs & on the current TX250X.

The old two stroke rims have a WM rim profile. Modern rims have an MT rim profile. I don’t know much about the difference but it is an issue to consider for your restomod.

The same disc brake hub was used on lots of different models over many years but some of them were only drilled/threaded for 1 disc.
    The hub parts numbers were the same for the GTs & GSs that I’ve checked. (Or show as the same given the part number history.)

Recently dealt with this on two cafe builds.
    The GT250 was upgraded from a 18x1.6 to 18x1.85 rim. Used a used GS rim that we had powder coated. Used rim was a FPIA to true.
    The GT380 was upgraded from a 19x1.6 to 19x1.85 rim. Used a new Suzuki rim that was so much easier to true.
    Currently working on a GT550 cafe build that will have a 18x2.15 front rim — will use a new Sun rim that will be drilled for the correct spoke angle.

Comment

If you don't have VERY deep pockets maybe you could sell a kidney or something and head on over to Cognito Moto.
      Making your GSX-R CBR fork conversion easier Honda Harley Yamaha Suzuki Ducati
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

The other side of the hub is usually fully drilled & partially threaded. My thinking is that finishing the thread was one extra operation at the factory hence they never did so. You can easily tap them to full depth...
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by jabcb View Post
          The GT triples have either 19x1.6 or 19x1.85 front rims. The two strokes with a disc brake & 18” rim have an 18x1.6 rim
          On two strokes with drum brake & 18” rim, the rim spoke angle will not be correct for using with a disc brake hub.
          Suzuki used an 18x1.85 rim + disc brake on some of the smaller GSs & on the current TX250X.

The old two stroke rims have a WM rim profile. Modern rims have an MT rim profile. I don’t know much about the difference but it is an issue to consider for your restomod.

The same disc brake hub was used on lots of different models over many years but some of them were only drilled/threaded for 1 disc.
          The hub parts numbers were the same for the GTs & GSs that I’ve checked. (Or show as the same given the part number history.)

Recently dealt with this on two cafe builds.
          The GT250 was upgraded from a 18x1.6 to 18x1.85 rim. Used a used GS rim that we had powder coated. Used rim was a FPIA to true.
          The GT380 was upgraded from a 19x1.6 to 19x1.85 rim. Used a new Suzuki rim that was so much easier to true.
          Currently working on a GT550 cafe build that will have a 18x2.15 front rim — will use a new Sun rim that will be drilled for the correct spoke angle.
          It was the hub that I questioned, as I plan on a new 18" hoop. Probably a sun from buchanans...
          I don't know why, but it seems the nearly same wheel for a GT is far cheaper than a GS wheel of the same nature...and I just want the hub anyway.
          Thanks for the help!.....and a pic of your finished wheel would be cool if you get the chance...

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
            If you don't have VERY deep pockets maybe you could sell a kidney or something and head on over to Cognito Moto.
            https://cognitomoto.com/collections/...nversion-parts
            Oh yeah...saw that one! {93-98 gsx-r 750-1100 hub conversion} All sorts of droolable stuff there...$$$
            To use that would easily allow the use of the flat rotors from the same bikes, but I was shooting for a set of offset rotors and do the conversion cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
              The other side of the hub is usually fully drilled & partially threaded. My thinking is that finishing the thread was one extra operation at the factory hence they never did so. You can easily tap them to full depth...
              Thanks- I was hoping that'd be the case...I was worried about possible hub lacing area width issues, but I think they're both the same - hub wise.

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS850GBob View Post
                It was the hub that I questioned, as I plan on a new 18" hoop. Probably a sun from buchanans...
                I don't know why, but it seems the nearly same wheel for a GT is far cheaper than a GS wheel of the same nature...and I just want the hub anyway.
                Thanks for the help!.....and a pic of your finished wheel would be cool if you get the chance...
                Not sure which wheel you wanted to see.
                No pic of the completed GT550 wheels. The frame is at the powder coaters. Will order the rim & spokes in the next few weeks.

Used the existing hub on the GT250. Both sides were fully drilled & threaded. Used NOS Suzuki spokes.
                Upgraded the GT380 from its original lame 2LS brake to a GT550/GT750 4LS brake. Used a new Suzuki rim that was for a GT550 with the 4LS brake, so the spoke angles were correct. Used SS spokes from Buchanan’s because NOS are NLA.

This pic of GT380 & GT250 might help if you are debating the color of your Sun rim.
                SCMR_2017-2_0680 by jabcb, on Flickr

Comment

I'm torn...while the blue suzi cafe with the black hoops and hubs with shiny spokes looks good...I also like the red Gt with the all silver look and 4ls set up...nothing screams classic like a front drum 4ls {discs just have less fade issues}.

Oh, the rim of yours in question would be the sun rimmed 18x2.15.

Comment

I’m also torn.
                    The blue GT250 rims are black powder coated & the red GT380 has new chrome rims.
                    Sun rims have either a clear or black anodized coating over a brushed machined finish.

The GT550 will have 18x2.15 & 18x2.75 rims. Will use polished SS spokes. Clear vs. black is TBD. I had decided on black but might change my mind.

Comment

Working...
                    X