Tire Pressure Gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tire Pressure Gauge

What are you fellas using for a tire pressure gauge? I have probably 4 of those cheap stick jobs that are always sitting on the counter at the auto parts store. They work well enough on my car tires but I wanted to check the pressure on my bike tires which have a tube and I cant seem to get it seated well enough to get a good reading. When I do it says I have 15 lbs but the tires are hard as a damn rock.

So I thought I might go up on price over the $1 ones I have but dont know what to get and dont want to waste money hunting and peeking.
    Thanks for any advice! I am so glad to be on to worrying about tires and not how to get my bike going!!!!
    Alex

weirdly, I use this, since I'm checking tires, I might as well pump them up at the same time if they need it..... I have it calibrated as to accuracy versus a decent gauge, so I know what the gauge means versus what it says
    About 3$ at a dollar store. The device that clamps to valve is better than trying to centre many cheapo gauges.

Yes, the hose will get funky but after having it for 7 years, sticking a better bit of hose on when it fails has been worth it. Some of the weirdest things turn out to be good uns

Last edited by Gorminrider; 09-30-2017, 11:17 AM.

Comment

I use a footpump as well. Old one died finally after ten years at least.
      I also have an elbow to screw onto the valve.
      It makes it much easier to present pressure guages and air lines generally found in filling stations.
      Something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tyre-Valve-E...-/162651851052
      97 R1100R
      Previous
      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

I just use a standard tire gauge for checking them and the one on my Slime portable compressor to refill the tire
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I have a few, and they're all digital now. I use a right angled gauge to get to the valve stem with the brake rotor so close by on the V-Strom; I need a relatively straight unit to get back into the Goldwing's valve stem (and I'm lying on the ground doing it...). I hate having to bend the valve stem, even slightly, to align with a gauge or chuck.

Then there's the bicycles & the Civic... and I use a matching assortment of air chucks to get them all happily inflated.
          and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
          __________________________________________________ ______________________
          2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
            I use a footpump as well. Old one died finally after ten years at least.
            I also have an elbow to screw onto the valve.
            Do you leave the elbow on all the time, or do you only put it on to check & air the tire?

Comment

Originally posted by Hinermad View Post
              Do you leave the elbow on all the time, or do you only put it on to check & air the tire?
              Sometimes I forget or don't bother to take it off. This was especially true of a 16" rear with chain and disk.
              I've never noticed any vibration with it on, at least not at my speeds.
              97 R1100R
              Previous
              80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

My favorite one is a "Slime" brand. I take it to a dealership oil change place and they check it for accuracy for me. It was the most accurate one I had in my collection.
                Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
                  My favorite one is a "Slime" brand. I take it to a dealership oil change place and they check it for accuracy for me. It was the most accurate one I had in my collection.
                  I have a little "Slime" brand cheapy that matches up perfectly, PSI-wise, to a much more expensive analog gauge.
                  Charles
                  --
                  1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

I landed up buying the slime gauge at the local auto place. It was about $11 and I like the little hose and I like the partial Lb measurements. Much more dead on accurate than the cheapy pencil ones I have.

Turns out .. My pressure was crazy low and nothing was wrong with the pencil gauge .. it was the air pressure!. I had about 8 pbs in the back and 13 in the front. I forgot how rigid MC tires are so the tires felt hard as a rock so I didnt sweat the pressure. DUMB!!

Been 85 on the highway with no air in the tires!!

I was a little disappointed in the bike because my recollection of it was that it was pretty nimble and would turn easily and this one was lazy and dipping into turns was a lot more work than I had remembered ... well since putting air in the tires its everything I remember.
                    Alex

Comment

Been 85 on the highway with no air in the tires!!
                      Oboy! Livin dangerous! better have a close look at sidewalls for cracks! probably ok but ....

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                        Oboy! Livin dangerous! better have a close look at sidewalls for cracks! probably ok but ....
                        Take a good look at the sidewalls to look for the date code.

Tires that hard are likely rather old, too, so get ready to get some new rubber on there for next season.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I get these at the dollar store.

IMG_0561.jpg

Analog, accurate, no batteries required
                          head swivels, easy to use

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                            Take a good look at the sidewalls to look for the date code.

Tires that hard are likely rather old, too, so get ready to get some new rubber on there for next season.

excepting Avon"'riders" where "age" is irrelevant to cracking....at least in a year or so of production run.... I wont be buying these again....

(they lose air at bead now and unless very closely watched as to inflation, too soon I am flapping along at high speed... Yes, definitely going to turf them! )
                            Last edited by Gorminrider; 10-07-2017, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Random anecdote: when I bought my GS750E, I rode it the 30 minutes home. When I got it home, I started going over it. When to check the tire pressures and it turns out the rear tire was about 20 psi and the front was well over 60!
                              Charles
                              --
                              1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Working...
                              X