Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How narrow of a tire can fit a 2.15-16 rim?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How narrow of a tire can fit a 2.15-16 rim?

I was having problems finding a matching set of dual sport tires that came in a 16” rear. Ended up getting a 3.00-16 rear and didn’t think too much about how much smaller it is than stock. Stock rear on my 450l is a 4.60-16. Will the 3.00 stretch too much and affect riding?

Wow, that's a first. Everybody else asks if they can fit a 150 on the rim.

Can't imagine why you want to go smaller, especially THAT much smaller. You mentioned "dual sport", I am presuming that means adding some dirt capability? Not only will the 3.00 stretch a bit, it will GREATLY reduce your weight capacity, and your 450 is considerably heavier than most dual-sport bikes.

If it helps the search any, consider going to a 17-inch wheel. It may upset the steering geometry a bit, but with what appears to be your intended purpose, you may never notice.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Trying to fit the narrowest tire is a bad idea. Not even for drag racing. Think the question you meant to ask was: What is the biggest brake rotors and calipers I can put on (insert you bikes model and mods here)front rim.

Comment

seems like it would distort the carcass alright. Put your fingers in and pull it out to the size of your rim beads...or blocks of wood all round would be better.. That'll give you an idea.
        I'd expect it would "flatten it"???
        Steve's load point would add to this and make me very leery.

I'm wondering if it would make it harder to mount as well
        Last edited by Gorminrider; 10-08-2017, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Can't imagine why you want to go smaller, especially THAT much smaller.
          He doesn't want to do it, the 3.00 is simply the biggest 16" dual sport tire he can find. I agree with switching to a 17" wheel, it vastly improves the tire selection options and the slight change in rear ride height won't make a bit of difference on or off road.

Mark
          1982 GS1100E
          1998 ZX-6R
          2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Wouldn't this work? It's a 130/90-16. At work I'm putting 130/90-17 tires on 4-4.5 inch rims on sport bikes.

Duro HF904 Median Motorcycle Tire

4.6(11 reviews)

$94.95 Save 19%!$76.84

Orders over $99 Ship FREE!

(Rear) Tire Size - Speed Rating: 130/90-16 - S

120/80-18 - S
            130/80-17 - S
            130/90-16 - S
            4.10-18

IMPORTANT! Shipping Restriction: This item ships via Ground Services to addresses within the 48 Contiguous US States only, no PO Boxes.
            Ships within 1 to 2 business days

Add Road Hazard Tire Protection for $15.37? More Info
            Quantity
            -
            +
            LOWEST PRICE GUARANTEE
            If you find a lower price, we'll match it -- Details

(Rear) Specifications and Options

Brand Duro
            Front / Rear Rear
            Tire Size 130/90-16
            Rim Size 16
            Tube / Tubeless Tube Type
            Speed Rating S

GSRick
            No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
            Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Bike bandit has a good return policy. I’ll return these Shinko 244’s and I found some bridgestones that are 120/90 16. I was hoping to make the cheaper Shinkos work but they are just so small. And a 17” rear in the future will definitely be on the list.

And the reason for dual sport is because I’m building a scrambler. Really wanted the Shinko 705 but they don’t have them in a 16” rim. So I’m settling for more aggressive 50/50’s
              Last edited by Guest; 10-08-2017, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shopknocker View Post
                And the reason for dual sport is because I’m building a scrambler.
                Well, I must say that evidently your body parts are bigger than mine.

For a "scrambler", I would not be starting with 400+ pound bike.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

It may be for a motorcycle trails race they hold in Ocala or Kissimmee. From my understanding if you use a dirt style bike you have to use street tire and if it is a street bike you can use dirt or enduro style tires. it also could be because that is a popular style since the Walking Dead show.
                  Last edited by gsrick; 10-08-2017, 10:54 PM.
                  GSRick
                  No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                  Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
                    it also could be because that is a popular style since the Walking Dead show.
                    I have never seen the show, from what I have heard, I haven't really missed much, either.

By the way, if they are the WALKING dead, what are they doing with motorcycles?

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

^^^ lol - that was funny.

Friend of mine has family down there living away from the bigger cities and there's tons of interconnected communities by miles of sandy unpaved roads,
                      mostly flat, rains all the time, I can see where dual sport tires on a 450L could be appropriate, even fun.

Post a pic when you have em mounted up.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        Well, I must say that evidently your body parts are bigger than mine.

For a "scrambler", I would not be starting with 400+ pound bike.

If I wanted anything practical I would have bought another enduro or an adventure bike. Got this Gs for cheap and bought it just for the build. Obviously no dual sport is practical starting with a 35 year old cruiser.

Comment

Working...
                        X