No announcement yet.

GSX750ES 1985 : Front fork (new) stanchions planarization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To check if the forks are straight you will need to lift the front end off the ground:

Take off the front wheel leaving the forks in the triple clamps. Now loosen the clamp bolts on one fork and turn the stanchion in the clamps whilst holding the fork lower still. If the fork is bent you will see the fork lower move back and forth when you turn the stanchion.
    Current:
    Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
    VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
    And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Originally posted by hillsy View Post
      To check if the forks are straight you will need to lift the front end off the ground:

Take off the front wheel leaving the forks in the triple clamps. Now loosen the clamp bolts on one fork and turn the stanchion in the clamps whilst holding the fork lower still. If the fork is bent you will see the fork lower move back and forth when you turn the stanchion.
      MOAR helpful instruction! Thanks!!!

Ed
      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Following the tips here I loosened the bolts of the upper yoke as well. Since I powder-coated the yoaks, the stanchions do not fall down on the floor yet they have enough freedom to swivel.
        So now the bolts on both yokes and the bolts of the wheel axis clamps are loose.
        I put 2 packs of dog food on the rear of the bike so the front wheel can come up.
        When holding the wheel between my legs and turning the handlebar I am now able to pass the glass test with 100% accuracy. The stanchions are perfectly parallel (below the lower yoke and even between the yokes).
        At this point I conclude that there is nothing wrong with the stanchions.
        So far the good news. The bad news are that if I strengthen the bolts of any of the yokes, the stanchions loose planarization ~severe coughing~
        Are the yokes bent ? Am I doing something wrong ?

20171121_164743-1.jpg

Comment

You may have some uneven buildup from your powder coating. I would sand the inside of the holes in the yokes down to bare metal and try again.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
          1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Originally posted by jsandidge View Post
            You may have some uneven buildup from your powder coating. I would sand the inside of the holes in the yokes down to bare metal and try again.
            That's a good point. At first the powder coating didn't allow the stanchions to fit in so I had to remove a millimeter down to bear metal using a flap wheel drill bit. It was a drill bit that fit in the hole but very tightly and this way I (hope I) achieved relative accuracy.
            Nevertheless, there is a chance that the holes of the upper yoke are not exactly in the same center-line of the relevant holes below them. Just a theory ...
            Last edited by Guest; 11-21-2017, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sharpy View Post
              Can i just say its a engine. A motor is what starts it and a motor is whats in ure washing machine. OMG and i wonder why i have no friends lol
              Really? You're still "wondering"? I can offer some hints, but you might not get them. Among them are constant mis-use and mis-spellings of common words like "you're" and "you", not to mention constant needless corrections that can easily be taken as personal attacks. Then there is a persistent lack of proper punctuation, which gives some the impression of a lack of education, thereby lowering YOUR credibility. You often have some good insight on a problem, but it is just as often hard to read through all the mistakes in spelling and grammar. Need any more clues?
              If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

Originally posted by Who Dat? View Post
                Really? You're still "wondering"? I can offer some hints, but you might not get them. Among them are constant mis-use and mis-spellings of common words like "you're" and "you", not to mention constant needless corrections that can easily be taken as personal attacks. Then there is a persistent lack of proper punctuation, which gives some the impression of a lack of education, thereby lowering YOUR credibility. You often have some good insight on a problem, but it is just as often hard to read through all the mistakes in spelling and grammar. Need any more clues?
                He has already stated his 1st language isnt English im sure. Plus people doing some of his services shouldnt be allowed near a motorcycle. IE: that powdercoater for starters. Any machined surface is a no no for powder coating. Ive even seen brake drum surfaces AND sprocket mounts done. Grrrrrrrr

Comment

Originally posted by Who Dat? View Post
                  Sharpy & WhoDat,
                  The subtext of your posts screams racism and it is probably subconscious. You are both lousy bigots. Really!
                  If not bigots, than mentally disturbed, obsessive to irrelevant details.
                  Please stop responding to my posts.
                  I hope that forum management will not allow such a sick abusive behavior in this forum and encourage cultivation of a plural multi cultural atmosphere as the love for Suzuki oldies should bring people together rather than put barriers between them...
                  Nothing else to say...
                  Last edited by Guest; 11-22-2017, 03:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by glib View Post
                    Come to think of it, I’m not sure what the best word would be to describe the geometric relationship between two things that are meant to be in the same plane. So an “A” for effort there.
                    Perhaps "planar"?

Comment

Originally posted by JJ View Post
                      Perhaps "planar"?
                      Yes Johny,
                      In the silicon industry, where accuracy is measured in manometers, documents and literature I came across used the word "palanarization" to describe the action of bringing 2 (or more) planes/lines to form a single common plane.
                      Planar is the adjective.
                      I just confirmed it with our US based chief technical writer :-)

Comment

Originally posted by dpascal View Post
                        Yes Johny,
                        In the silicon industry, where accuracy is measured in manometers, documents and literature I came across used the word "palanarization" to describe the action of bringing 2 (or more) planes/lines to form a single common plane.
                        Planar is the adjective.
                        I just confirmed it with our US based chief technical writer :-)
                        Makes sense to me. I work in microns. Much easier to hold tolerances than in nanometers!

Comment

Problem resolved!
                          I managed to get the front fork completely straight.
                          The bottom yoke was bent and this had noting to do with powder coating.
                          Now all bolts are closed according to spec torques and stanchions passed the glass test below the bottom yoke as well as between lower and upper yoke.
                          I fixed the bent lower yoke by taking the stanchion out of the yoke completely and using it as a lever to gently bend the miss-aligned hole.
                          The bending was done in very small steps followed by re-assembly and glass test.
                          See picture for exact method.

DSC_2687.jpg

Comment

Working...
                          X