Check (or maybe chuck) those original brake lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check (or maybe chuck) those original brake lines

I've been wanting to get braided brake lines since I bought my bikes and finally ordered a set for the ES from rennsportautoparts tonight. When I removed the hose from the master to the splitter I found a nasty little friction wear point. Could have been ugly.

Friction wear by Gary L, on FlickrFriction wear by Gary L, on FlickrFriction wear by Gary L, on Flickr
    sigpic
    1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
    1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
    1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
    On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
    All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

If I buy a bike older than five years I pass check and go straight to CHUCK, especially if the brakes have never been bled and had new fluid installed in those five years. Very rarely have they been bled. The real damage is frequently inside the rubber lines where they have started to break down. Change them, cheap insurance and peace of mind. I rode Wings for a few years and it always made me chuckle when someone would get a $200 piece of chrome or set of lights. They couldn't wait to do show and tell, but had no clue when their brakes were last checked and probably had 20 psi in their tires too. Tell them a new oil filter will be $15 and they have a stroke right there at the parts counter.

Comment

The lines develop scale on the inside unless the fluid is changed regularly. If there is dark chunky fluid in the master you can be assured that the lines are trashed as well.

Photo below shows line from a project bike I restored as example.

Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by NavyDad View Post
        If I buy a bike older than five years I pass check and go straight to CHUCK, especially if the brakes have never been bled and had new fluid installed in those five years. Very rarely have they been bled. The real damage is frequently inside the rubber lines where they have started to break down. Change them, cheap insurance and peace of mind. I rode Wings for a few years and it always made me chuckle when someone would get a $200 piece of chrome or set of lights. They couldn't wait to do show and tell, but had no clue when their brakes were last checked and probably had 20 psi in their tires too. Tell them a new oil filter will be $15 and they have a stroke right there at the parts counter.
        I'd laugh too but I guess I've spent a ton on appearance before getting to these lines. Shame on me. I did change the fluid but I guess that's in vain after 30+ yrs.
        sigpic

Comment

FYI. Raymond at rennsportautoparts has this ebay auction--https://www.ebay.com/itm/192409936532--where the lines are $23.95 each plus $12.95 shipping. If you've bypassed the anti-dive, that's just four lines and shipping on my bike so roughly $109.

I ordered last night and he shipped them this morning!
          sigpic

Comment

The lines on my 78 were original. I'm glad I replaced them even though the originals were still holding together fine. Not worth it for the cost of new ones.

Comment

Just an installation tip. I put their lines on my EF which should be the same as your ES. The line to the front master cylinder might be just tad too long and not being very pliable had quite a struggle with it until I figured out moving it to the other side of the union/splitter gave me the extra little bit of room I needed.
              '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
                Just an installation tip. I put their lines on my EF which should be the same as your ES. The line to the front master cylinder might be just tad too long and not being very pliable had quite a struggle with it until I figured out moving it to the other side of the union/splitter gave me the extra little bit of room I needed.
                Good to know. Thank you.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
                  I received and installed my braided lines today. I did as you recommended and attached the master cylinder line to the opposite side of the splitter. I also crossed the lower lines for the same reason. It's a good installation but I think I'll order them a bit shorter next time and avoid modifying the install. Definitely recommend rennsportautoparts.

Edit: Hold that last bit. I wouldn't order the lower lines shorter. I wasn't considering sag. The upper line could be shorter.
                  Last edited by glib; 01-07-2018, 10:20 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X