iKon (Koni) shocks for GS550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iKon (Koni) shocks for GS550

Talking to a buddy that is an iKon rep and here are the two shocks they offer for my '80 GS550E.

The "stock" option is the 7610-1282. It's essentially the same length as stock, at 13" eye to eye. It lists for $370/pr.

I seem to remember reading here that these bikes can benefit from an extra 10-20mm of length on the rear shock. The shock they have in stock is the 7610-1318, which is about 13 5/8".
    It lists for $420/pr.

Is it really worth an extra $50 to get an extra .50"?

FWIW, I'll be rebuilding the stock forks with Sonic 0.80 springs and the MikeXS emulators.
    I prefer a "medium" ride. Progressive shocks and springs, for example, have always seemed way too harsh to me.

Originally posted by Scott S View Post
    Is it really worth an extra $50 to get an extra .50"?
    It's the same basic shock so only you can answer that. The longer ones will slightly speed up steering but it won't be a huge change. I have IKON shocks on my 1100E that are close to 1" longer than stock and they noticeably improved steering and reduced stability a bit. 5/8" would just be less of that effect.

Mark
    1982 GS1100E
    1998 ZX-6R
    2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

A 550 is already small enough for me to think it's twitchy. I can't imagine removing even more of what little stability there is.

Also, I would think that if Progressive shocks and springs were too harsh, you simply had the wrong ones. I have had Progressive shocks and felt they were a bit weak, but they were set up for somebody considerably smaller than me.

We ordered some Hagon shocks for my wife's bike. Talked with Dave at Dave Quinn Motorcycles, went with his suggestions for shock body and spring rate. The ride is fantastic. There are a couple of drawbacks, compared to the Ikons you are considering. One, the damping is not adjustable, and two, they are not rebuildable. Dave will select the body with the length you want and the dampling that you need, then will select the proper spring rate, based on your bike's weight, your weight and your riding style. Oh, yeah, they are less than half the price.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Re: the Progressives
        I've had them on more than one bike. I even called and talked to the tech department about ALL the details; bike, riding style, rider weight, etc. I still found them harsh.

The iKons are really nice.

Sounds like the stock length is fine, and I can get a member discount through the SOHC4 site.

Comment

I'd be going with the 13-5/8" length for certain if it were me (14" would be a bit overkill for a 550). Unless you just want to cruise straight long roads, then stock will suffice fir you riding it.

The 550 really can shine with the back kicked up a notch, and is a superb handler. The twichiness I've experienced from 550's would be due to the earlier models lacking the frame bracing tubes behind the ignition coils from the center spine down to the sides of the double cradle reals on the left and right. Later frames, GS650's, 750's, 1000's, & 450's have those braces there from the factory, but the early 550, and 400/425 models were missing these tubes from the factory fir some reason, and the handling suffers a slight bit when leaned over in a long high speed curve and hitting any bumps, dips, or other undulations in the road.
          Consider looking into welding in 2 small pieces of tubing in that area while you have the bike apart. I'd do it for you if you were local to me.
          '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
          '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
          '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
          '79 GS425stock
          PROJECTS:
          '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
          '77 GS550 740cc major mods
          '77 GS400 489cc racer build
          '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
          '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Working...
          X