Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

82gs400t will 16 inch rim function properly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82gs400t will 16 inch rim function properly?

I ended up with a 16 inch rim from a gs400L instead of the 17 inch that was originally on my bike , just wondering if this will work properly or would it be better to search out the original.

As far as I know, the 16 will fit and function. In order to retain the stock diameter you would have to go to a huge tire that wouldn't clear the swingarm. So the bike will be low in the rear like an L and geared a bit lower. Your centerstand will be a challenge to deploy and cornering clearance a bit less. OTOH going down an inch only drops the bike a half inch, which doesn't sound like much but will affect the whole stance.

I have two '82 400T rear wheels, neither of which I need, as I've converted to spoke 18s. Unfortunately, I'm in BC and the shipping could be pricey, but the price couldn't be lower. They're pretty heavy things. I think the chainwheels are the same so you'd just need the rim.

PM me if you're interested.

I think the stock tire was 120/90 17..... Avon may still make a Roadrider in that size. ?? Some 130/90s can be a tight fit, especially after they've stretched out a while.
    '82 GS450T

Comment

Yes, It should work fine.
      I can't say exactly for sure about the 82 Mine are all 81, and suzuki was forever making little changes...yours are likely "tubeless" rims where mine are not....for what it's worth I've fit 18" rims from the 400E onto a 400T without issue too so I'm prone to the assumption that these all swap around ok, given it's the drum-brake variety...

The Original size of rear on an 1981 GSX400T was 110/90 17...on the tubeless type "L" rim I assume you have ,you can more easily fit a 120/90* (if such a tire exists) while the 120mm width is a tight fit using a 17" rim...... though my particular 120 works fine

*maybe even 130/80...?
      Last edited by Gorminrider; 03-27-2018, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Sounds good, thanks for the reply!

Comment

Working...
        X