Front fork rebuilt / upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front fork rebuilt / upgrade

You may have seen the update on my build thread. But last night my fork seal went:

I know it's a simple enough task and won't take long but while the forks are off I think I'll take the opportunity to update the springs and potentially look at refitting without the air gap.

I've got a couple of tyre pressure gauges but none really register anything below 10 psi and a crappy little bicycle pump I borrowed off my son so I've found it tricky to check and/or maintain the forks so I've just left them and hoped for the best. So I think I'd be more comfortable with out air.

Just to confirm it's a 1980 GS1000G, the air forks are not linked like on some other models.

In the stack of papers I got with the bike there was a receipt for a fork rebuilt so with my miles on top I gather it's probably only done 2000-3000 miles since. Is this normal or is it more likely that poor quality seals were used. The stanchions themselves seem to be in good enough order.

So, can someone recommend a decent but reasonable priced set of springs and what else might I be able to do to upgrade the forks?

Thanks in advance.

Look at Sonic Springs; one of their owners is a member here. I have them in both of the GS' and like them. Their site has a rate calculator based on your dimensions and riding style
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I like the Sonic Springs too.

shoot me a PM with your weight and a description of the riding you do and I can give you a spring rate and oil recommendation.

On the seals, carefully inspected the tubes for any nicks or dings. lightly buff them with some extra fine steel wool. Those dings have sharp edges that cut up the sealing edge of the seals, causing new ones to leak in sort order if that's not addressed.
      '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

PM sent Rich, thanks.

Comment

Also use new bushings in the fork leg and tube. Many leaks are not seal leaks but worn out bushings that allow sloppy fit of tube and seal.
          Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
          Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
          Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Originally posted by limeex2 View Post
            Also use new bushings in the fork leg and tube. Many leaks are not seal leaks but worn out bushings that allow sloppy fit of tube and seal.

Would you be able to elaborate on which parts you mean?

Is it also significant that I didn't have parts 21 or 22 fitted but massive long springs fitted about 560mm, which launched the cap across the garage when I undid it. Instead of the 416mm specified in the manual!

New Progressive spring ordered now from Hagon, which state they come with the spacers if required. I'm hoping that will be a full spacer to replace the missing 22. If it's a small additional spacer then I guess I'm going to be in trouble.

Comment

If I remember correctly the 80 1000G doesn't have the bushing. The progressive spring for that model is longer that stock so maybe that's what was in there... You can use ABS water pipe to make a spacer. B&Q should have something...
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by eddypeck View Post
                New Progressive spring ordered now from Hagon, ....
                In spite of the recommendations for Sonic?

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  In spite of the recommendations for Sonic?

A few messages went back and forward between me and Rich at Sonic, he got back to me with prices and the cost to ship to UK wasn't too bad .... I would however have to pay additional 20% VAT this end and potentially get stung with further import tax otherwise I would have done.

Either way Rich has been really helpful, I'm a sorry I wasn't able to give him my business.

Comment

Working...
                  X