No announcement yet.

Rear shock shopping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The US retailer for YSS shocks is EPM Performance. http://epmperf.com/get-a-free-quotes/
    I got YSS E302 shocks from them. They asked about the bike & rider. Aren’t they doing the same sort of customization that Dave Quinn does with Hagons?

Comment

Hopefully this isn't too old a post to bump after several months, but I'm on the market for rear shocks, and dpep's OP is informative enough that I figured it deserved a nudge rather than starting another new thread...

My GS1000G (and its 230lb rider) is enjoying a new set of Sonic 1.0 springs, but is still running the original rear shocks. I was hoping to get away with <$300 for a decent set of shocks, and had originally planned to go with Hagons, though it sounds like YSS may be comparable? Either way, I haven't found much luck figuring out ideal damping rates, and I'm wondering if spending more $ for adjustable rate shocks might make more sense.

Dpep - what (if any) shocks did you end up going with?
      80 GS1000GT
      Past bikes:
      82 GS750E
      92 VFR750
      85 CB650

Comment

By strange coincidence I yesterday came across some papers in the garage which included my packing slip for my Ikon shocks. I purchased from a vendor named Revival Cycles from which I got a very good price but had a very long delay in the shipping. They did not have them in stock and had trouble getting any from their supplier(s).

One factor that tilted me toward the Ikons is that their chrome models (though a bit more expensive) are the closest in appearance to the stock suspension on the 850. The bike is in near original condition (24000 miles). I am not hung up on being box stock but if performance and other factors are otherwise close I'll go with what looks original.

Performance wise I have no complaints but I've only taken it on short test and errand rides around my neighborhood. It at long last seems to be ready for long trips and curvy roads. Now all I need is the time.
        Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
        80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Originally posted by limeex2 View Post
          I'm also on the ZRX1200 forum. When upgrading ZRX shocks, most pick Ohlins or BiTubo from Italy. I got in a group buy, which happens often. Picked up these BiTubo's sprung for my weight with compression damping on a group buy for $350. Will be trying them out next season.

YSS offers a 14" shaft which quickens steering up considerably, but I believe is only offered in their high end shock. With good quality rear shocks, Race Tech valves w/good springs along with a already comfortable seat, GS's handle very well and do have all day comfort
          Not a lot of reviews on-line about their dual rear shocks.
          Are the ZRX guys saying good things?
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by dpep View Post
            By strange coincidence I yesterday came across some papers in the garage which included my packing slip for my Ikon shocks. I purchased from a vendor named Revival Cycles from which I got a very good price but had a very long delay in the shipping. They did not have them in stock and had trouble getting any from their supplier(s).

One factor that tilted me toward the Ikons is that their chrome models (though a bit more expensive) are the closest in appearance to the stock suspension on the 850. The bike is in near original condition (24000 miles). I am not hung up on being box stock but if performance and other factors are otherwise close I'll go with what looks original.

Performance wise I have no complaints but I've only taken it on short test and errand rides around my neighborhood. It at long last seems to be ready for long trips and curvy roads. Now all I need is the time.
            I've also been looking at the Ikons (along with Hagon via BritCycle, YSS, and Progressive - I can't justify going any higher up the price range). The Ikon with chrome springs / no cover is currently $480 at Revival, which looks like it would be a good match visually for my stock springs. Though, at that price, I'm wondering if I should go just a bit higher for adjustable damping on the YSS. I'm a big guy (currently 230, though dropping), and while I doubt my wife will ever want to ride with me, I also have a trunk and may add hard bags at some point, so if the YSS damping adjustment is effective, it would be a nice feature to have.

When you ordered your Ikons from Revival, did they work with you to help pick the best damping rate?

Thank you for the feedback, and I do look forward to your extended road test results!
            80 GS1000GT
            Past bikes:
            82 GS750E
            92 VFR750
            85 CB650

Comment

Loving my new Hagons. They’re made of stainless steel, unlike most of the other chrome or painted shocks.
              1982 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

Not sure if its helpful information but I have been riding with my Hagon Shocks over a year now. When I bought them I was about 200lbs and ballooned up to 230lbs before going back down. My wife rides with me about 1/3- 1/2 of the time and weighs about 125lbs. We have them set in the second position out of three spring preloads and it just glides over bumps and inconsistency and never once have we bottomed them out or gotten close.

Between the hagon shocks and the Sonic springs up front some roads that were torture to ride on before now feel like a magic carpet ride.

This was the description I got From Quinn but I understand he is no longer in business.

"Hagon Type A twin shocks feature three position spring preload and quadrate
                progressive springs. They are not adjustable for damping, and are not
                rebuildable."

They were about $200 if memory serves. Everywhere I looked at the progressive shocks the springs were sold separately and you had to build the final product. I had progressive shocks on two other bikes and while every bike is different I found them to be to harsh on the two I used them on.

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral Beez View Post
                  Loving my new Hagons. They’re made of stainless steel, unlike most of the other chrome or painted shocks.
                  Which ones?
                  1982 Katana 1100, 1997 HD Ultra Classic, 1996 Buell S2T, 2002 BMW K1200RS, 1969 Royal Enfield Interceptor Triton project
                  New project 1979 GS1000S
                  Recently sold 1979 Honda CBX1000

Comment

Originally posted by johnod View Post
                    Which ones?
                    see them here

1982 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

Very nice, those look like the ones I was thinking of getting, nice to hear you like them.
                      1982 Katana 1100, 1997 HD Ultra Classic, 1996 Buell S2T, 2002 BMW K1200RS, 1969 Royal Enfield Interceptor Triton project
                      New project 1979 GS1000S
                      Recently sold 1979 Honda CBX1000

Comment

Sixth pic down the list

1982 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

I can vouch for British Cycle Supply. I've dealt with them in the past for British bike parts and have always had good service.

Comment

Originally posted by Boriqua View Post
                            Not sure if its helpful information but I have been riding with my Hagon Shocks over a year now. When I bought them I was about 200lbs and ballooned up to 230lbs before going back down. My wife rides with me about 1/3- 1/2 of the time and weighs about 125lbs. We have them set in the second position out of three spring preloads and it just glides over bumps and inconsistency and never once have we bottomed them out or gotten close.

Between the hagon shocks and the Sonic springs up front some roads that were torture to ride on before now feel like a magic carpet ride.

This was the description I got From Quinn but I understand he is no longer in business.

"Hagon Type A twin shocks feature three position spring preload and quadrate
                            progressive springs. They are not adjustable for damping, and are not
                            rebuildable."

They were about $200 if memory serves. Everywhere I looked at the progressive shocks the springs were sold separately and you had to build the final product. I had progressive shocks on two other bikes and while every bike is different I found them to be to harsh on the two I used them on.
                            Thanks for the feedback, Boriqua! I'm definitely considering the Hagons as a top choice, both due to the many recommendations here, and to your "panther" post some time back

Any chance you might happen to know what damping rate Dave Quinn recommended? Even though they're not adjustable for damping (which I think is fine in most cases), just like our Sonic springs they come in a range of fixed rates.

Options on the Hagon site for the 330mm:

SOFT
                            DAMPING
                            AVAILABLE
                            SPRING RATES
                            KG/CM
                            MEDIUM
                            DAMPING
                            AVAILABLE
                            SPRING RATES
                            18 OR 20
                            KG/CM
                            HARD
                            DAMPING
                            AVAILABLE
                            SPRING RATES
                            23 OR 26
                            KG/CM
                            EXTRA HARD
                            DAMPING
                            AVAILABLE
                            SPRING RATES
                            30 OR 35
                            KG/CM
                            I'm guessing that, being rather large guy, probably exclusively riding 1-up with some bags/trunk, I'm looking at either a "medium" or "hard". But I actually haven't found much info here or elsewhere about what those rates translate to in terms of real-world weights (or driving impressions).
                            80 GS1000GT
                            Past bikes:
                            82 GS750E
                            92 VFR750
                            85 CB650

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMA View Post
                              Thanks for the feedback, Boriqua! I'm definitely considering the Hagons as a top choice, both due to the many recommendations here, and to your "panther" post some time back

Any chance you might happen to know what damping rate Dave Quinn recommended? Even though they're not adjustable for damping (which I think is fine in most cases), just like our Sonic springs they come in a range of fixed rates.

Options on the Hagon site for the 330mm:

SOFT
                              DAMPING
                              AVAILABLE
                              SPRING RATES
                              KG/CM
                              MEDIUM
                              DAMPING
                              AVAILABLE
                              SPRING RATES
                              18 OR 20
                              KG/CM
                              HARD
                              DAMPING
                              AVAILABLE
                              SPRING RATES
                              23 OR 26
                              KG/CM
                              EXTRA HARD
                              DAMPING
                              AVAILABLE
                              SPRING RATES
                              30 OR 35
                              KG/CM
                              I'm guessing that, being rather large guy, probably exclusively riding 1-up with some bags/trunk, I'm looking at either a "medium" or "hard". But I actually haven't found much info here or elsewhere about what those rates translate to in terms of real-world weights (or driving impressions).
                              Damn I am sorry Chris but .. I dont know that I chose. I bought from a couple of sets he had in stock so there has to be some stock configuration that I am unaware of and never came up. Wish I could be more helpful.

Comment

No problem! Thanks for the feedback anyway, I think I just need to give Hagon and/or BCS a call and see what they say. Will report back...
                                80 GS1000GT
                                Past bikes:
                                82 GS750E
                                92 VFR750
                                85 CB650

Comment

Working...
                                X