GS250T Springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS250T Springs

Hi Folks, seems like the fork springs on my little GS250 are sacked. They don't really fully bring the headstock back up to proper height without some help. The fiche shows a 2 part spring that isn't available. I'm a light rider approximately 150 lbs fully geared up and really just looking for something that will work. Not like I'm riding the little thing that hard although I'm a seasoned rider and get a little frisky with it occasionally. Anyhow, does anyone have any info or should I just pull them and measure and go from there. Thanks!
    2003 SV650 full fairing on a formerly naked bike so it has handlebars, not clipons
    1995 Yamaha XT225
    2007 Yamaha XT225
    1981 GS250T Cafe

PM Rich Desmond and see what he can do for you, he owns Sonic Springs and is very knowledgeable about our bikes. Or you can wait for him to respond to this thread, which he will most likely do in the next day or so.

Mark
    1982 GS1100E
    1998 ZX-6R
    2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

What Mark said or you can go to www.sonicsprings.com and use their calculator to factor in the bike you ride, how you ride, and some other things
      sigpic
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Yes, you should pull them and measure them against the manual's specs...if you are missing the second spring you could try inserting a spacer pipe of the same length. If you have the second spring you could replace it with a spacer or add something to preload the forks a bit but way BEFORE I did this I'd be sure the seals or even that the caps aren't leaking ...the forks are airtight as well as oiltight...

IDEA: so, it follows: be sure your forks are fully extended before you are putting the caps back on. You just might be setting them up with a vacuum...

There's a shop manual for the 250-300 (that have the square cam-end covers)at bass-cliff's here BikeCliff's Website
        Last edited by Gorminrider; 10-20-2018, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. The main problem is that there are no specs and Sonic doesn't list that bike. Not like I can just click on some springs on a website and buy them. There's nothing missing from the forks. Bike has only has about 4500 miles on it. Got some other stuff on my plate right now but as soon as I can, I'll see if I can pull the springs and get a measurement and call Rich or our local suspension guru. Not a super valuable bike so not wanting to do anything fancy. Just wondered if anyone had been there/ done that.
          2003 SV650 full fairing on a formerly naked bike so it has handlebars, not clipons
          1995 Yamaha XT225
          2007 Yamaha XT225
          1981 GS250T Cafe

Comment

Race-Tech has a 22mm OD spring that will work, we don't go that small. 0.70 would be the right rate for you.
            '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

My 250T has a single spring, are you sure it is not the 250tx instead of the 250tt that the fiche has?
              Also have you tore the forks down, cleaned everything and put fresh oil in?
              1981 Suzuki GS250T
              1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
              1985 Suzuki GS550E
              2004 Suzuki GSF1200S

Comment

I replaced the oil soon after I put the bike back together after a total tear down for frame painting a couple of years ago. My recollection was that there was just a single spring at that time but a lot has transpired with other bikes in my life since then and I didn't trust my memory once I saw the fiche. Very soon it'll get another going over. My 90 year old mom just took a turn and is bad off so bike stuff is on hold for now. Your input is really appreciated. Thanks!
                1995 Yamaha XT225
                2007 Yamaha XT225
                1981 GS250T Cafe

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. The main problem is that there are no specs
                  Well, when I glance through the shop manual for the Gs250T-300Lz, the "Specs" are Service Limits Upper 4.1"(103mm) Lower 15.4" (391mm)....but I am just guessing because all you say is "GS250" and maybe there's several models and years...

aha. got curious and see that some have two springs some have one (1981). possibly a sum of the two measures above will do (494mm).seeing as the top spring of the pair is a stiff one....
                  ✓access the FRONT FORK (GS250TX) schematic✓find Suzuki FRONT FORK (GS250TX) spares easily✓OEM parts online available

and, if you look hard at the fiche for that bike, I think it takes the same springs as a GS 450 or a Gsx400
                  Last edited by Gorminrider; 10-21-2018, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Sorry for taking so long to respond. Family illness put all bike wrenching on hold. They are single springs. Very good to know about the 450. Many things are the same. Will update later. Maybe much later with how it all turns out.
                    1995 Yamaha XT225
                    2007 Yamaha XT225
                    1981 GS250T Cafe

Comment

Working...
                    X