• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sonic Springs Install Help Please

I'm installing a set of Sonic springs on my GS1000S

Am a little confused re spring spacers.

This is what is on the website.

NOTE A: Cutting spacers
    The purpose of the spacers is to provide the proper amount of pre-load on the springs. In general, street bikes need about ¾” of pre-load, assuming that the spring rate is correct for the weight of the bike and rider. So the question is, how do we determine the right length for the spacer?
    Take the fork cap, and if it has a pre-load adjustment, set it in the middle. Now measure the depth of the cap from the bottom to the base of the portion that sits against the top of the fork tube. Include any stock washer that will sit on top of the spacer. Basically we’re measuring the length of the portion that fits inside the fork tube.
    Say for example that this length is 2”. If we cut the spacer so that with the spring, washer and spacer installed it came up flush with the top of the fork tube, when we installed the fork cap the spring would be compressed 2”. Too much. So we need to cut the spacer shorter to get the proper pre-load. In this case 1 ¼” shorter. Easiest way to measure this is to put the spring, washer and uncut spacer in the extended fork leg. Mark the spacer tube even with the top of the fork tube. Pull the spacer out and measure 1 ¼” down from the mark. Mark and cut from that point. Now, when you put the spring, washer and spacer in, the top of the spacer should be 1 ¼” below the top of the fork tube. When the fork cap is installed, the 2” section inside the fork tube will compress the spring ¾”. Voila, correct pre-load!! Just make sure you use the right numbers for you, not the ones in this example. Also, back the adjuster all the way back out before re-installing the fork cap, to make it easier to get the threads started. Re-set the adjuster to the middle position after everything is bolted back up.

Re sentence " make sure you you use the right numbers."

Is the 11/4" measurement what I use or is there some other measurment I'm unaware of, and if so where do i find it?

Thanks.
    1982 Katana 1100, 1997 HD Ultra Classic, 1996 Buell S2T, 2002 BMW K1200RS, 1969 Royal Enfield Interceptor Triton project
    New project 1979 GS1000S
    Recently sold 1979 Honda CBX1000

What I'm reading is an example and your particular situation will vary depending on your particular bike and the measurements that you get. Take a break, quit thinking about it and try again when your head is clear. It seems pretty straight forward.
    1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Send a PM to RichDesmond, he's a member and it's his company.
      GSRick
      No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
      Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
        What I'm reading is an example and your particular situation will vary depending on your particular bike and the measurements that you get. Take a break, quit thinking about it and try again when your head is clear. It seems pretty straight forward.

So where did the 1 1/4" measurement come form?
        1982 Katana 1100, 1997 HD Ultra Classic, 1996 Buell S2T, 2002 BMW K1200RS, 1969 Royal Enfield Interceptor Triton project
        New project 1979 GS1000S

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
          Send a PM to RichDesmond, he's a member and it's his company.
          I sent a email to the company, hope to hear back.
          New project 1979 GS1000S

Comment

Originally posted by johnod View Post
            A PM here may be quicker.
            GSRick
            No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
            Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Originally posted by johnod View Post
              Email answered.
              '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

You'll find that your "stack" should be roughly the same height as stock.

I.e. Old Spring(s) + Stock Spacer = New Spring + New ABS PIPE spacer
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                  You'll find that your "stack" should be roughly the same height as stock.

I.e. Old Spring(s) + Stock Spacer = New Spring + New ABS PIPE spacer
                  Typically the new stack height is a little less than stock. Most older bikes had really soft springs, and more preload than you need with better springs.
                  The other issue is that unless you're the original owner you don't know what a PO might have done, so it's best to just follow the instruction rather than base anything on the existing setup.
                  '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
                    Email answered.
                    Thanks Rich I replied to email.
                    New project 1979 GS1000S

Comment

In the bikes I have changed the fork springs, I go to one thing for a constant starting point. With the fork tube held vertical, install the spring. Measure from the top of the spring (a washer on top of it might help) to the top of the fork, use that as your spacer length. When you install the cap, it will push the spring a bit, giving it some "preload". Note that different bikes will have caps with different depths, so the "top of the fork tube" measurement might not be accurate FOR YOUR BIKE.

The way to determine whether it is correct will be to compare the distance from the top of the dust cap on the lower tube to the bottom of the triple clamp (forks installed, of course) with the bike on the centerstand with the distance between the same two points when the bike is off the stand and you have your weight on it. That difference should be about 15-20% of total travel. Most of our bikes have close to 6" of travel, so you are looking for about 1" of sag. Adjust your spacer length to get that 1".

If you get 2" of sag, you need spacers that are 1" longer. If you get less than 1" of sag, cut the spacers about an inch, measure again. Repeat until you get about 1" of sag.

When you get the sag set correctly, add the correct amount of fork fluid (usually 10w oil works well on the street), put the springs and spacers back in, put the caps on. Finish re-assembly, test everything and go for a ride.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

This site never stops to amaze me. A member posted an issue at 3:29, at 4:20 the owner of the company replied to him both by email and to his actual thread......if this doesn't remind me to do my yearly site donation I don't know what will.......
                        Rob
                        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                          This site never stops to amaze me. A member posted an issue at 3:29, at 4:20 the owner of the company replied to him both by email and to his actual thread......if this doesn't remind me to do my yearly site donation I don't know what will.......
                          Yep I agree, and thanks everyone for all the answers, especially Rich.
                          New project 1979 GS1000S

Comment

Working...
                          X