Rear Caliper and Tire Spacing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Caliper and Tire Spacing

So I got splined with my GS650 and replaced the rear wheel joint hub. Now with the wheel assembly back together, I attempted to put in new rear break pads as well. However, the right most pad would not fit even though the cylinder seemed like it was fully depressed (I used a wood shim to press it down with the bleeder valve slightly open).

On a closer look, the alignment of the caliper to rotor seems to be way closer to the right side which may be why the break pads were not fitting.

IMG_20190202_180105.jpg

Here is a picture of the different spacers. They don't appear backwards but perhaps?

Also is having a bit of the shaft sitting proud the normal position?

Any suggestions before I blindly go tearing the wheel off again would be appreciated! Thanks.

Are you sure the inner spacer (between caliper bracket and wheel bearing) is seating correctly? His mine setup
    Bike is is buried in garage, so hard to get good pic.

image.jpg
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

The outer spacer seems fine on yours, here's mine....note axle slot / axle endimage.jpg
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

The inner spacer seems fine. The larger flare is pointed toward the caliper bracket which seems correct. My clymer's diagram is a little hard to tell what the correct orientation is.

It does appear that there is a gap between the final drive and wheel. That does not appear to be seated correctly.

Comment

I disassembled, inspected, and reassembled the rear wheel this evening without any change in spacing of the caliper. I was wrong about the gap between the wheel and final drive. There is another lip that is seating well inside the final drive portion. Plus when I torque the large nut on the most lefthand side, it seems to be properly squeezing everything together.

While the caliper was free, I did attempt to fit the brakes onto the rotor. They wouldn't fit even at this point. I think my next step is to service the caliper and see what the issue is.

If anyone happened to have an image of their caliper alignment without any brakes installed, I would greatly appreciate knowing that it might just be a tight tolerance on one side.

Comment

The caliper were in pretty rough shape. I think I'll have to get a replacement pistons before they will seat. That will have to wait until I have more bike budget available.

I've decided to live with the slightly off-centered spacing and just watch how the brakes wear down.

Comment

First I tighten the right side - the pinch bolt- to clamp/hold axle in position. Then I tighten the the big hex nut to about 50 ft-lbs: less than what is called for as it is pinching the caliper bracket .
              any evidence that bike went down on right side and possibly bent bracket?
              What ever you do, make sure you have good reliable brake action .
              1981 gs650L

Comment

Working...
              X