Is my wheel going to fall off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is my wheel going to fall off?

Can you see what's wrong with this picture??? Got home from a test ride today and some adjustments, and happen to notice this. Shouldn't there be a bolt through that hole? There is the remains of a bolt inside the hole. Looks like both ends were twisted off.

20190323_142451.jpg
    - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
    - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Top view
    20190323_142436.jpg
    - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!

Comment

Bottom view
      20190323_142446.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by 93Bandit View Post
        Can you see what's wrong with this picture??? Got home from a test ride today and some adjustments, and happen to notice this. Shouldn't there be a bolt through that hole? There is the remains of a bolt inside the hole. Looks like both ends were twisted off.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]57544[/ATTACH]
        That is the pinch bolt. It keeps the axle from twisting when you try to remove the axle nut. As long as the nut is on the other end of the axle, your wheel won't fall off and yes there should be a bolt there. The axle goes through the forks and wheel from that side, so there isn't much of a chance the axle will pull through, but i would ride it like that until you fix it.
        GSRick
        No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
        Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

The hole isn't threaded, right? So I could just drill it out and put a new bolt through with a nut on the other end?

Comment

✓access the FRONT FORK (MODEL T) schematic✓find Suzuki FRONT FORK (MODEL T) spares easily✓OEM parts online available
            97 R1100R
            Previous
            80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

The hole isn't threaded, right? So I could just drill it out and put a new bolt through with a nut on the other end?
              I wasn't sure about that, so I looked at my wife's '82 850L. There is a nut on the bottom, which would hint that the hole is not threaded.

HOWEVER, since that bike had a rather questionable history before we got it, I went out to the shop, to examine another '82 850L that was recently acquired as a project. It also has a nut on the bottom, so I can safely assure you that there are (probably) no threads in the hole. But, ... rather than drill it out, I would use penetrating oil and heat, then drive it out, if possible. Since whatever is in there is likely steel and the forks are aluminum, your drill bit will go sideways all too easily. Unless you have access to some proper machining tools and have the fork tube off the bike.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                I wasn't sure about that, so I looked at my wife's '82 850L. There is a nut on the bottom, which would hint that the hole is not threaded.

HOWEVER, since that bike had a rather questionable history before we got it, I went out to the shop, to examine another '82 850L that was recently acquired as a project. It also has a nut on the bottom, so I can safely assure you that there are (probably) no threads in the hole. But, ... rather than drill it out, I would use penetrating oil and heat, then drive it out, if possible. Since whatever is in there is likely steel and the forks are aluminum, your drill bit will go sideways all too easily. Unless you have access to some proper machining tools and have the fork tube off the bike.

Thanks Steve. I'm not too worried about the bit going sideways. The end of the bolt is pretty flat and I have had to drill out many bolts by hand. I'm going to give it a shot this weekend and see what happens.

Comment

Got to be seriously stuck to cause both the bolt head and nutted end to shear.

Comment

I am guessing what is left of that bolt is keeping the axle pinched. Does not seem like a missing bolt in that spot would cause a major failure like a lost wheel, but a sloppy joint with the axle and fork tube would cause some strange handling depending on how loose it was.
                    1981 Suzuki GS250T
                    1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
                    1985 Suzuki GS550E
                    2004 Suzuki GSF1200S

Comment

Originally posted by Pop-up kat. View Post
                      Got to be seriously stuck to cause both the bolt head and nutted end to shear.
                      That's what I thought. Idk how it could happen otherwise. Either it's really stuck, or whoever did it is incredibly talented...

Comment

So... Decided to tackle this bolt today. Upon closer inspection of the bolt, I noticed the center was hollow all the way through, like someone else already started drilling it out. Interesting. I recently bought a cheap punch set so I thought I'd try to drive it out first. I set the punch in the hole resting on the bolt, walked over to my toolbox to get a hammer and when I returned to the bike the punch had fallen through the hole! What??? I closely inspected the "bolt" to find out its actually a spiders nest! Turns out there was no twisted off bolt inside that hole at all. This makes so much more sense. I was wondering how in the world someone twisted off both ends of that bolt.

I found a bolt in my junk drawer and a lock nut and tightened it up. So it's fixed!

Comment

..., or whoever did it is incredibly talented...
                          ... its actually a spiders nest!
                          Yep, you were right the first time.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

They say that pound for pound spider silk is strong stuff but that application is stretching it a bit
                            97 R1100R
                            Previous
                            80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Lol no kidding.

Comment

Working...
                              X