"needs brakes"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"needs brakes"

The words the Previous Owner said to me when i asked if the bike was still available.

"it's a heavy bike" he said as it took 4 of us to push it on the trailer.

I wondered why it just stalls out when i tried slipping the clutch.

Now i find out why the brakes are locked up

20190326_154617.jpg

How does something like this even happen?

Does it smell as bad as it looks?

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
    Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

Unfortunately it smells like urine.

Comment

Years of neglect
        I'd be going thru every system on the bike before even trying to ride it
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

More worried about looking cool at the local bike night than really taking care of and riding the machine
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

As noted - lack of maintenance. The calipers and hoses are likely equally as foul. Brake fluid needs to be changed periodically - it absorbs moisture.
            I change mine every few years or so. A few years ago, I opened up my calipers for inspection. Because of the regular fluid changes, they were surprisingly clean for being 30 plus years old.
            sigpic
            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
            -Rusty old scooter.
            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by Vamisk View Post
              The words the Previous Owner said to me when i asked if the bike was still available.

"it's a heavy bike" he said as it took 4 of us to push it on the trailer.

I wondered why it just stalls out when i tried slipping the clutch.

Now i find out why the brakes are locked up

[ATTACH=CONFIG]57564[/ATTACH]

How does something like this even happen?
              Probably easier than you would think. Depending on the grade of brake fluid used, you're supposed to change it every two years, and a 40+ year old bike could have missed a change for the last who knows how many years. When I got mine it didn't look quite as bad as that, but it was close. It still had the stock 40 year old brake lines, pads, and seals (maybe the original brake fluid?). You will need to do a full cleanout of the brake system, new hoses, and all new seals for the calipers. I would budget for new pistons because there is bound to be so much water in the "brake fluid" that yours will have a lot of rust pitting issues and may not work properly anymore even with cleaning. I just did my full brake system rebuild last year, if you need any tips or parts sources, I can probably point you in the right direction.
              1982 GS850GL - Shaved seat foam and new seat cover; Daytona handlebars and Tusk risers; Puig "Naked" Windscreen\
              1978 KZ200 - Mostly original, hydraulic front brake swap, superbike bars; purchased at 7k original miles
              Track bike project: 2008 Hyosung frame w/ 97 gs500E engine swap (in progress)

Comment

20190328_144801.jpg

Unfortunately the grunge reached the caliper although there is much less of it. Gunna go ahead and just order all new brake parts

Comment

Why not upgrade it whilst you're there?
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                  X