no brake pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no brake pressure

Guys let me first say IM sorry for a stupid question, but I have a 1981 gs850g that has sat up for a few years, I romved the calipers, unstuck the pistons, cleaned everything up really well, I drained and replaced the brake fluids, now I am trying to build pressure to bleed the brakes, but I am getting no pressure at al on front or rear. what could I have done wrong
    It’s my bike I’ll run it in the ground if I want to

Assuming you are following the proper procedure form bleeding hydraulic brakes. In the bottom of the the master cylinder reservoir, there are 2 holes, one lager, one smaller. As you pump the lever or pedal to build pressure (or it might be when you open the bleed screw, I don't remember), you should see air bubbles come up through the small hole in the bottom of the reservoir. If not, that tiny hole is probably blocked. Use a very tiny wire (like from a fine brass brush or high-E guitar string to clean out that hole, Hope that helps. I'm sure others will have suggestions as well.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Could have a bunch of air trapped? Tried using a syringe to "reverse bleed" them yet? Use a syringe and a small length of hose to attach to your bleeder valve, and push brake fluid up the system. Helps get stubborn air out of the system.
      1982 GS850GL - Shaved seat foam and new seat cover; Daytona handlebars and Tusk risers; Puig "Naked" Windscreen\
      1978 KZ200 - Mostly original, hydraulic front brake swap, superbike bars; purchased at 7k original miles
      Track bike project: 2008 Hyosung frame w/ 97 gs500E engine swap (in progress)

Comment

I have found it helps a lot if you "prime"/bleed the master cylinders properly first, before remounting them and connecting to the brake pipes - it is a messy job, so you do not want brake fluid all over the motorcycle!

Fill the reservoir with fresh brake fluid, hold a finger over the outlet port where the brake line banjo bolt goes into, and operate the lever / rod to build pressure. Release your finger on the outlet just slightly so that fluid can escape (be careful that brake fluid does not spray onto painted surfaces of your motorcycle or car). Hold your finger firmly over the outlet again before releasing the lever / rod to prevent air from getting in.

Repeat this process until each pull of the lever / push on the rod causes a good spray of brake fluid to escape from the outlet. Mount the master cylinders on the motorcycle, and then proceed with bleeding the system via the normal or reverse bleeding method.
        1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Originally posted by 2BRacing View Post
          Fill the reservoir with fresh brake fluid, hold a finger over the outlet port where the brake line banjo bolt goes into, and operate the lever / rod to build pressure. Release your finger on the outlet just slightly so that fluid can escape (be careful that brake fluid does not spray onto painted surfaces of your motorcycle or car). Hold your finger firmly over the outlet again before releasing the lever / rod to prevent air from getting in.

Repeat this process until each pull of the lever / push on the rod causes a good spray of brake fluid to escape from the outlet. Mount the master cylinders on the motorcycle, and then proceed with bleeding the system via the normal or reverse bleeding method.
          I have found it a bit safer (to paint and eyes) if you don't fully block the outlet when you pull the lever for the first few strokes. I uncover the port, pull the lever, cover the port, release the handle until there is fluid flow. After you see fluid, THEN cover the port and pull the lever (gently) to see if you have pressure. When you have pressure, go ahead and put your brake line on and continue bleeding the lines.

I use that same theory to bleed the lines, too. Open the bleeder, pull the lever, close the bleeder, release the lever. Repeat as necessary. It tends to move more fluid down the line quicker than the pump, pump, pump, hold, open bleeder, close bleeder, release lever, repeat method.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
          X