Gs1000 oem shocks on gs400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs1000 oem shocks on gs400

Guy on Craigslist is selling gs1000 parts the rear shocks are like new and I need to replace my crappy eBay shocks that the bike came with. The eBay ones are 14.5 inches eye to eye on my bike and the swing arm rests on the frame. I don't like that. The gs1000 ones are 12.5 inches eye to eye. Anyone opposed to this idea?

New aftermarket shocks are 300 bucks for those and springs and I would rather spend that money on something else. The gs1000 shocks look brand new

Comment

But they’re not. It’s a gamble on if they’re leaking or have already leaked. I made that mistake, and wouldn’t recommend it. Suspension is probably the best place to spend $300... Hagons are a bit cheaper and equal or better compared to the progressives.
      -1980 GS1100 LT
      -1975 Honda cb750K
      -1972 Honda cl175
      - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

Well can you pull the springs off? Cuz I just want something temporary to replace the cheap eBay rfy stuff on the bike now. Until I get it running up to par. The springs on the shocks now are just way too stiff. And too tall

Comment

Do they have 'preload' adjustment? It's usually a collar on the top or bottom that turns, may have 3 or 5 settings that add height to adjust for a passenger or luggage or personal riding style preferences.

You might be able to lower them, give them less preload.
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Don't do it unless you have access to the right springs for a 400 - and can change them. The 1000 springs may be even stiffer than you have now.

FWIW, our 1000 racebike at one point used stock 450 springs on Koni's as the Koni springs were too stiff....Your light 400 needs matching springs.

Comment

You might want to contact CL Moto about your RFY shocks.
              They offer rebuild kits and different springs.
              2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by GregT View Post
                FWIW, our 1000 racebike at one point used stock 450 springs on Koni's as the Koni springs were too stiff....Your light 400 needs matching springs.
                And, on the other side of the coin, the Koni springs on my 850 were too soft. I installed heavier springs.

Each bike/rider combination is different, requiring its own suspension settings. Stock springs and dampers are set up for expected use for that bike. Move them to another bike, things could get "interesting". Your best bet is to order new stuff with known parameters.

And, while you are at it, I will invite you to spend yet another $100 or so, for new fork springs and seals. By now, the stock springs are pretty much shot, and they really were not adequate when they were new. If you think your seals are working because you don't see any oil, ask yourself a question. Is there no oil because the seals are keeping it all inside the forks or is there no oil because it has all leaked out and there is simply no oil left to leak out?

As mentioned, suspension is not a good place to cheap out, right up there with brakes. Good suspension will keep the wheels on the road for control, the advantage of good brakes should be obvious.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Well hey I did it. I'm not made of money and 50 bucks and drilling out the holes ever so slightly to match perfectly to the studs on my bike seems to work just fine. Back to stock ride height and they are much softer than the eBay struts that were on it. And no it's not scary or stiff at all. Eventually I'll purchase legit progressive shocks. But like I said I ain't made of money and I wanted something to get me by. They aren't bouncy and aren't too stiff. Bike that they came off had 12k on it. And my bike has been gone through. The front for dampens like it should. That is just me going by the rules of checking dampening on a car. One bounce back up. It doesn't "ride the wave" if you know what I mean.

But no issues with the shocks. And I've driven the heck out of em. Only concern was being metal to metal on top mount. But then realised this is how the shock was made and it was metal to metal from factory. There is no room for a bushing. And besides I drilled it so there's maybe a thousandth or 2 of play between stud and shock mount. Works fine. Thanks guys for input. I'm living in learning. I'll let y'all know when I get progressives haha

Comment

The stock shock has a rubber bushing with a metal sleeve that fits onto the frame stud.
                    Did you drill out/expand the metal sleeve or the shock body itself?
                    Actually, neither is a great idea.
                    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I'd have to send a picture to explain. The rubber mount would've had to been separate to go between the two mounting points. Either way I think I'm just going to take the springs off and put them on the eBay shocks because these are rated more for my 140lb weight. I drilled out the shocks yes. I know the danger but they have held up so I'm not super worried.

Comment

By the way I experiment with my own vehicles. I would not suggest anyone else do what I do to *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ around on my free time.

Comment

You can stumble across a decent/useable set of gs550 shocks for less than $30 off eBay and skip messing with them..typically run 12.5 inch center to center +/- with a spring rate close to your weight range .
                          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                          X