No announcement yet.

Inverted Forks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The thing that would make the most sense would be to get a complete front end including triple tree, forks, brakes and wheel, retrofitting would require a LOT of fab and machine work.
    1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
      A
      Perhaps, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive morons! ��
      ruuuude lol

Comment

OK guys, stop piling on. I think he got the message.
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by TinkersCustom View Post
          Yeah I confess. I dont know jack *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ about forks or suspension. Thanks for explaining it politely guys. So the answer would be to redo the entire front end if i want inverted forks, possibly even the treestem (i thinks thats what its called). I think if i found a similar diameter treestem and suspension off a gixxer with inverted forks, i thought it might work. maybe im still being retarded?
          The problems you'll run into with swapping it is they use different size bearings, which there are kits made for this type of swap, by Allballz. The next thing is you will need the whole front end(forks and triple trees) including the brake system and wheel with the rotors and axle. Unless you have some mad fab skills and can make axle bushings because the late model bikes use hollow larger diameter axle compared to your stock. You will also need the fender unless your not going to use one. I have everything, but the wheel and rotors for sale front a 2007 GSXR750 . One more thing is sport bike don't use a speedometer cable, so you will need something else. Some people just use their smartphone with a speed ap.
          Last edited by gsrick; 05-10-2019, 07:49 PM.
          GSRick
          No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
          Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
            ...I'm thinking about making a front wheel drive GS.
            FYI: There is such a thing as a two wheel drive motorbike. I think Rokon is the biggest maker, and they've been around since at least the '70's.
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Personal opinion - if you want a modern looking bike then buy a modern looking bike. Some upgrades for safety are no-brainers if they require little major modifications (LED headlights, twinpot brakes, and better tires) but upgrades like what you are asking for only result in major changes to bike.
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

If you proceed, you should be aware that you may end up drastically altering the handling, and not necessarily for the better.
                Older bikes have more rake angle than modern sport bikes, and to keep the trail numbers reasonable usually have a lot more offset in the triple clamps. (more offset=less trail)
                The smaller offset on the modern triple clamp is going to slow down the steering on your bike.

From a functional point of view you'll be better off upgrading what you have (springs and oil, brake kit) rather than slapping on a modern set of forks.
                '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Working...
                X