Wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheels

Hey folks, I recently picked up an 83 1100. I'm wanting to get some more ground clearance. Been talkin to Frank at Frank's forks about some 2" over tubes. I'm curious if an 18" rear wheel was ever made. I'd like to run an 18 front and rear, I've seen an 18 for the front not the rear. Just curious any help is greatly appreciated.

The early 750E had 18" rear and 19" front. It is the first gen mag though, not what the '83 1100E came with.
    Shop our large selection of Suzuki OEM parts, original equipment manufacturer parts and more online or call at (231)737-4542
    Last edited by gsrick; 05-18-2019, 12:08 AM.
    GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Nice! I was lookin through Ebay trying to find an 18 rear. Guess I didn't look hard enough. Thanks. Do you know if that would be a plug n play or is something different on the 1100? I always like the look of the stars. My wife had a gs 450 with those mags...slick lookin.

Comment

Originally posted by Nvmessner View Post
        Nice! I was lookin through Ebay trying to find an 18 rear. Guess I didn't look hard enough. Thanks. Do you know if that would be a plug n play or is something different on the 1100? I always like the look of the stars. My wife had a gs 450 with those mags...slick lookin.
        Using the link I provided, it shows that the spacers are the same part numbers on both bikes, so I would say yes, it should be a plug and play.
        The 78 750 https://www.suzukipartshouse.com/oem...-wheel-gs750ec
        The 83 1100 https://www.suzukipartshouse.com/oem...-wheel-model-d

Oh yeah, welcome to the forum. Here is a link that will give you more info than you will ever need and also a manual you can download. http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/
        Last edited by gsrick; 05-18-2019, 12:39 AM.
        GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Hey folks, I recently picked up an 83 1100.
          He never said it was an "E". We can only hope.

I had 6" over Frank's on my CB350 in the late '70's. Boy, were they tall!
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
            He never said it was an "E". We can only hope.

I had 6" over Frank's on my CB350 in the late '70's. Boy, were they tall!
            Good point, I only assumed E. I was thinking that G had a 16", but that was the GL. The G also had a 17" rear wheel.

What Rob is implying is that if you have a shaft drive 1100, your out of luck.
            GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Welcome to the site, nv.
              Just curious, what are you doing that you need more ground clearance. Track days?
              A suspension upgrade might be the ticket instead.
              2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Yes it is an E sorry. I appreciate the help. I live up where there are a good amount of fire roads and I have a zrx1200r for the the main road. I was wantin to build kind of a big boy tracker. I see a lot of 17 wheel swap. I just thought it would be neat to have somethin a little different.

Comment

Forgive me, but what is a fire road, in your part of the country? Around here they are dirt or gravel trails out thru the woods, more for dirt bikes, Jeeps, &. trucks, certainly nothing for a 500lb. 1100cc motorcycle, even with an 18" rear wheel.
                  1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Haha! That's exactly what they are. The plan is a bike I can Cruise everywhere. We get a lot of traffic here in the big bear SoCal area. So it's nice to do a run through the twisties, bit have the options to take a fire road back and around traffic.

Comment

Haha! That's exactly what they are. The plan is a bike I can Cruise everywhere. We get a lot of traffic here in the big bear SoCal area. So it's nice to do a run through the twisties, bit have the options to take a fire road back and around traffic.

Comment

I used to use my Triumph T100 on fire roads and it is up there in weight. Sometimes it is how the weight sits. I always felt comfortable standing on the pegs when needed but I stayed mostly to graded gravel roads.

I have thought about making a scrambler inspired GS but it might just be for show. The gearing and engine doesnt have the same gruntiness that the Bonny had which made it a bit more suitable on loose stuff or climbing over small berms

Comment

Heck yeah! It's just a fun bike. I was trying to figure out if any other bikes that had 37mm fork tubes would be interchangeable....try and find some from a bike that had longer tubes instead of getting custom lengthened ones.

Comment

Heck yeah! It's just a fun bike. I was trying to figure out if any other bikes that had 37mm fork tubes would be interchangeable....try and find some from a bike that had longer tubes instead of getting custom lengthened ones.
                            The GS850G / GS1000G forks are nearly an inch longer than the GS1000 chainy bikes, as I found. Both 37mm. Might not be long enough though.
                            A good place to look for swap lists is over at www.dotheton.com you'll find lists of interchangeable steering heads, forks, etc and necessary sizes for comparison.
                            ---- Dave
                            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Good to know Grimly. Thanks. I've come across some of those lists....I think. That's something I was hoping for. Dont know if any bikes came with that much longer of tubes from the factory. The gs g forks is good info.

Comment

Working...
                              X