Fork cap removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork cap removal

Just bought an 82 gs1100l and need to replace springs but trying to figure out how to remove fork caps. They have the air valve on top. Kind of sounds stupid I'm sure but I didn't want to just wrench it like a normal cap due to not being sure if that's the correct way this type is removed.
    1982 GS1100gl

IMG_20190603_221504.jpg
    Wrench around air valve housing??
    1982 GS1100gl

Comment

Yep.

Tip: loosen the upper and lower clamps, slide the tube up about an inch, rotate it so you get a good angle on the cap with a wrench. Tighten only the lower clamp, break the cap loose, using the whole bike as a vise. Now you can loosen the lower clamp, slide the tube down and remove the cap with the wrench.

Be careful as you approach the end. It will take about 10 turns before it releases, but then the cap will pop up about half an inch or more. If you are aware of it and ready, nothing will fly (very far), just be aware it's going to happen.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Awesome thanks for the info
        1982 GS1100gl

Comment

IMG_6362.jpgWhat steve said/\
          Rich
          1982 GS 750TZ
          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
          Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Just make sure to let the air out first. I forgot to do that last year before I changed my fork oil and blew a stream of oil all the way across my garage

Comment

I've read about that haha. Thanks again
              1982 GS1100gl

Comment

Originally posted by Matt420740 View Post
                Just make sure to let the air out first. I forgot to do that last year before I changed my fork oil and blew a stream of oil all the way across my garage
                Years ago, I was reading on the Goldwing forum. There was a similar question about how to remove the forks. One guy cautioned that the first thing to do was to bleed the air pressue at the fill valve. The second thing to do was to remove the drain screw for the oil. If you happen to reverse those two, you will have some interesting spray patterns on the far wall.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Is there a way to tell if the forks on the bike are factory and model correct? Was having other work done on bike at the shop so I figured I'd have them put the new springs in. Spring diameter is apparently too large to fit in fork tube. Progressive says they are the correct spring but mechanic says forks must be aftermarket. He thinks they are aftermarket because the forks have air valves though I thought that was pretty standard on the early 80s Suzuki's.
                  1982 GS1100gl

Comment

Working...
                  X