100/80/18 vs 110/80/18 front

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

100/80/18 vs 110/80/18 front

My GSX1100G is ready for a front. It calls for a 110/80/18. I have two new 100/80/18's in the garage, A Pirelli & a Continental. If I put one of these 100/80/18's on my bike, will I notice any difference? I know the book calls for a 110, & many folks don't like to deviate, at all, from the book, but my question is will I even know it's a 100/80/18 if I didn't read the #'s stamped on the sidewall? Thanks
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

The problem is that a narrower tire on a wider rim neccessarily has to flatten itself a bit.
    ADD TO THAT more:
    the actual measure of the tire size you want to use means 80 mm "high" if it were on a rim it's intended for..... more room under the fender I guess. The original would be 88mm high...
    But combine this flattening to the already slightly squashed tire and... well...

Possibly relevant notes I have about putting Lower profile tires on indicate it's a little scary to me: paraphrased , they are ok for very experienced users . They have better grip until they lose it, when they lose it QUICKLY. A rounder tire is more forgiving. I can sort of imagine this pretty easily...tires are great on the straight-ahead but curve quickly towards the sidewalls so when you are leaning round a corner it's on a very sharp radius.
    If I'm right, I don't think it'd be worth the saving. On a motorcycle the tires are very, very important...Save $ somewhere else. Or, go very, very carefully....

Add: I'd guess it'd be about a 12% "difference" in "feel" as per noticing it. Not so much really but It's where and when you might notice it that sets off the nervous nellies like me. Tennessee has hills? lots of curves?
    Last edited by Gorminrider; 06-04-2019, 12:34 PM.

Comment

The best tire size calculator. Use our tire size calculator to find tire size specs and suggested tire sizes. Then check prices for all available tire sizes.

this works to compare sizes
      GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

1. the narrower tire will steer quicker
        2. the narrower tire is also shorter, and will increase the speedo reading
        3. the narrower tire will have a lower weight rating

Are your two tires in the garage really "new"? They may have been recently purchased, but check the date codes.

I would not intentionally buy a smaller tire than specified, but if you already have the smaller tire and nothing else to use it on, go ahead.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

you will want a little more air in them than what you are putting in the originals, I think.

Comment

Working...
          X