New Tires for a ‘81 450?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Tires for a ‘81 450?

I am looking for a new set of tires for my 81 GS450L. It seems like every where I look (including mine) has a different tire for the front and back. Has anyone bought a set of oversized all terrain tires for a 450 that has matched? And if so will you tell me the info? Thanks!

I've run a matching set of Kenda k761 dual sport tires on mine. The front was a 100/90-19 and it went 8500 miles, the rear went 6500. That front runs big diameter wise so you'll need to loosen the fender bolts and lift it as high as you can for clearance. I've had the front clog up with mud to the point where the wheel locked up, so be careful. They suck on wet pavement! This season I put a Shinko 705 on back and with close to 9k miles I'm replacing it with a Shinko 777 on back. Put a 777 on front and am very impressed with how well it sticks, even with hail and standing water on the road. If all you're doing is running gravel or hard packed dirt, go with a street tire, the extra vibration you're going to get from the dual sport isn't worth it.
    1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
      I've run a matching set of Kenda k761 dual sport tires on mine. The front was a 100/90-19 and it went 8500 miles, the rear went 6500. That front runs big diameter wise so you'll need to loosen the fender bolts and lift it as high as you can for clearance. I've had the front clog up with mud to the point where the wheel locked up, so be careful. They suck on wet pavement! This season I put a Shinko 705 on back and with close to 9k miles I'm replacing it with a Shinko 777 on back. Put a 777 on front and am very impressed with how well it sticks, even with hail and standing water on the road. If all you're doing is running gravel or hard packed dirt, go with a street tire, the extra vibration you're going to get from the dual sport isn't worth it.
      Thanks for the response, what size did you put on the rear?

Comment

100/90-19 up front and 120/90-17 rear. Both are one size larger than stock but other than the issue with the Kenda they fit just fine. The 777 goes on the rear tommorow but judging by the way the front fits it shouldn't be an issue. Note: You'll find that many 120/90-17 sized tires are front tires in which case you mount them with the direction arrow going the opposite direction.

Comment

I thought the GS450L had a 16 inch rear wheel.
          1981 Suzuki GS250T
          1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
          1985 Suzuki GS550E
          2004 Suzuki GSF1200S

Comment

Originally posted by fbody_mike View Post
            I thought the GS450L had a 16 inch rear wheel.
            The L is a 16, the T has a 17

Comment

I have an 82' GS450TXZ and was able to find(after some searching)a 90/90×19 stock size front tire.I did lots of looking online for a match for my stock size 110/90×17.. real tough and no telling if it was an old stock tire when I did find it...
              I decided to swap my original 2.15x17 rear wheel for a 1.85x18 rear wheel off an early GS450E which fits a 3.50x18 rear tire that is easier to find,it handles nice to.

Comment

Originally posted by grcamna2 View Post
                I have an 82' GS450TXZ and was able to find(after some searching)a 90/90×19 stock size front tire.I did lots of looking online for a match for my stock size 110/90×17.. real tough and no telling if it was an old stock tire when I did find it...
                I decided to swap my original 2.15x17 rear wheel for a 1.85x18 rear wheel off an early GS450E which fits a 3.50x18 rear tire that is easier to find,it handles nice to.
                To the best of my knowledge the only 110/90-17 tire out there is the IRC Durotour. It has a groove running directly down the middle of it's circumference and I cannot stand being jossled about on rain grooves and bridge grates. That's the main reason for going with a cross hatch tread for me and the 777 is marketed as a heavyweight cruiser tire so I'm hoping they'll take awhile to wear out.

I've also considered swapping rims but I'm at the "If it ain't broke don't fix it" stage with my bike. 9k miles so far this year with negligible issues other than ordinary wear and maintenance. "The Mule" powered by "The Little Engine That Could" is treating me well, not much sense in messing with a good thing!

Comment

The Shinko 712's are a popular and affordable option
                  1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
                  1977 GS550
                  1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

To the best of my knowledge the only 110/90-17 tire out there is the IRC Durotour. It has a groove running directly down the middle of it's circumference and I cannot stand being jossled about on rain grooves and bridge grates. That's the main reason for going with a cross hatch tread for me and the 777 is marketed as a heavyweight cruiser tire so I'm hoping they'll take awhile to wear out.

I've also considered swapping rims but I'm at the "If it ain't broke don't fix it" stage with my bike. 9k miles so far this year with negligible issues other than ordinary wear and maintenance. "The Mule" powered by "The Little Engine That Could" is treating me well, not much sense in messing with a good thing!
                    I installed a 3.50x18 IRC GS11AW rear tire on the 1.85x18 rear rim and I'm pleased with it's handling.
                    I also build wheels and plan on locating a pair of alloy rims(1.85x19 & 2.15x18 front & rear,respectively)to lace up to my bike along with new spokes.I will consider installing a 100/90×18 or 110/90×18 rear tire after changing to the 2.15 stock width rear rim again.
                    Last edited by grcamna2; 07-11-2019, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Mounted the 777 yesterday and after about 50 miles at highway speed and two miles of gravel county road I definitely made the right choice! The bike feels like it's floating down the road and even the gravel seemed easier to ride on. I've never tried the 712 due the rib down the middle issue I already mentioned but there's a lot of folks here that like them, also the touring tire (250?) that Shinko makes.

Comment

Mounted the 777 yesterday and after about 50 miles at highway speed and two miles of gravel county road I definitely made the right choice! The bike feels like it's floating down the road and even the gravel seemed easier to ride on. I've never tried the 712 due the rib down the middle issue I already mentioned but there's a lot of folks here that like them, also the touring tire (250?) that Shinko makes.
                        How many miles can you run those Shinko's,they last ?

Comment

8k out of the Shinko 705 rear, the previous tires where Kenda, we'll see how the 777's last.

Comment

Working...
                          X