No announcement yet.

Need Help Figuring out What Rear Springs to Purchase - SOLVED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have the pit posse two clamp type compressors but that one looks easier...
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
      I have the pit posse two clamp type compressors but that one looks easier...
      Yea, it looks like it should be pretty easy to fit the springs on with that thing.

Shocks have been ordered!

Thanks again guys!
      Ryan

1979 GS850G - currently undergoing a major overhaul
      1986 GSX-R750 - I'm figuring it out

Comment

Loving my new Hagons.
        1982 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

The correct spring compressor is nice BUT you can use ratchet straps to do this. I've done it quite often. (Often enough that maybe I need that compressor more than you!
          POINTS to Know: To install a spring the strap cannot be right at the ends or it'll obviously jam against the shocks retaining when released so it's about a coil away from each end...
          Otherwise, (and it'll be so obvious if you try this) just be sure to keep the two straps opposite too each other as you go....

Lastly, put a rag under the ratchets so they don't scratch paint. Even if you by the NiceTool, you might think on this.

.shock-spring compressor-ratchetstrap.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by RustyTank View Post
            3. He also informed me that, once the shocks are installed on my bike, the shock length from eye to eye should be 11 1/4" in length, which is really great information.
            Too bad you have already ordered your shocks.

Stock measurement is much closer to 13 inches.

EDIT: I just went and looked at the product page for the 412 series shocks. It does have a suggestion for a ride height of 11.75", but that is with the full weight of bike, rider and gear. They also show that it is 13" when fully-extended.

Last edited by Steve; 07-27-2019, 01:51 AM.
            sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
              The correct spring compressor is nice BUT you can use ratchet straps to do this. I've done it quite often. (Often enough that maybe I need that compressor more than you!
              POINTS to Know: To install a spring the strap cannot be right at the ends or it'll obviously jam against the shocks retaining when released so it's about a coil away from each end...
              Otherwise, (and it'll be so obvious if you try this) just be sure to keep the two straps opposite to each other as you go....

Lastly, put a rag under the ratchets so they don't scratch paint. Even if you by the NiceTool, you might think on this
              Gorminrider, thanks for this. Great, great idea!
              Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                Too bad you have already ordered your shocks.

Stock measurement is much closer to 13 inches.

EDIT: I just went and looked at the product page for the 412 series shocks. It does have a suggestion for a ride height of 11.75", but that is with the full weight of bike, rider and gear. They also show that it is 13" when fully-extended.

Yea Steve, I think, based on everything I know, they're gonna work out just fine.

Thanks for lookin out for me though man
                Ryan

Comment

Working...
                X