Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rubber hose for brake fluid? - GS1100GK

Hello,

I am in the process of completely rebuilding the brakes on my 1982 GS1100GK and I am planning to replace the rubber hose that goes from the reservoir to the rear master cylinder.

I think my bike still has the original hose; some black particles were coming out of the hose when I drained it.
    The OEM part does not seem to be available anymore.

Can I use ANY kind of fuel hose (rubber or plastic) or is there a risk of chemical damage? I am using DOT 4 brake fluid.

Thank you!
    Last edited by MtnManCO; 09-12-2019, 03:32 PM.

NO! Brake fluid requires a certain type of hose. Fuel hose will not work! Try and find a "good" hydraulic shop (aka, The Parker Store) and they should have hose that is suitable for brake fluid.

Ron
    Ron
    When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
    1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
    1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
    1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
    1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Originally posted by MtnManCO View Post
      Hello,

I am in the process of completely rebuilding the brakes on my 1982 GS1100GK and I am planning to replace the rubber hose that goes from the reservoir to the rear master cylinder.

I think my bike still has the original hose; some balck particles were coming out of the hose when I drained it.

Can I use ANY kind of fuel hose (rubber or plastic) or is there a risk of chemical damage? I am using DOT 4 brake fluid.

Thank you!
      Jesus NO! Any non-hydraulic hoses would burst, and any hose not suitable for brake fluid (that sh!t's aggressive) will break down over time, that means also breaking your bike and likely including you.

Edit: Only realized now you're referring to the hose between reservoir and master cylinder. While that part is not under pressure, it still must be certified for brake fluid.
      Last edited by roeme; 07-28-2019, 05:39 AM.
      #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
      #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
      #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
      #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Since you are already going through the effort of replacing it, why not go the extra mile and replace it with stainless?

It's actually just a stainless braid over a Teflon-lined hose, but the generic term is "stainless brake line".

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

[QUOTE=MtnManCO

Thank you![/QUOTE]

How lucky we all are for this.

Take Steve's advice and replace all the brake lines with the SSB. That stands for stainless steel braided.

Our very own guru Mr. nessism has a thread on this very subject. Parts available from Earl's plumbing in So Cal. Very easy to make your own. Look it up.
          Larry

'79 GS 1000E
          '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
          '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
          '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
          '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

The OP said that he wants to replace the hose from the reservoir to the rear master cylinder [ ...I am planning to replace the rubber hose that goes from the reservoir to the rear master cylinder.]

For that specific application the stainless steel braided hose will not work.

It is highly likely that that specific hose from just about any larger model Suzuki will be the same as the one on OP's GS1100GK. In fact, according to Partsoutlaw fiche for 1981 GS850G the part number for that hose (item number 18) is 51241-85X50 at a price of $23.19.
            Last edited by 2BRacing; 07-28-2019, 03:22 AM. Reason: added part number
            1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Originally posted by 2BRacing View Post
              The OP said that he wants to replace the hose from the reservoir to the rear master cylinder [ ...[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]I am planning to replace the rubber hose that goes from the reservoir to the rear master cylinder.]
              (...)
              Completely missed that under sleep deprivation. Updated my answer
              #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
              #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
              #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
              #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Not sure if I can also blame sleep deprivation, but I missed that detail, too.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by 2BRacing View Post
                  It is highly likely that that specific hose from just about any larger model Suzuki will be the same as the one on OP's GS1100GK. In fact, according to Partsoutlaw fiche for 1981 GS850G the part number for that hose (item number 18) is 51241-85X50 at a price of $23.19.
                  I just did this same search and came to the same result, but found something interesting along the way. The original part number is 69731-45300. A quick cross-reference search shows that this same part number is used on all four-cylinder shafties 850 and larger. My search also showed that the number that Ben (2BRacing) provided is the superceded part number. For some reason, the 1100GK parts fiche does not show the new number.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride

Comment

Thanks everyone, much appreciated!

Comment

Working...
                    X