Am I balanced? Left/right balance question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I balanced? Left/right balance question

Noticed today that hands off I have to keep more weight on my right butt cheek to go straight. wondering if there is an alignment issue somewhere. thoughts are on the R wheel l/r difference or maybe a front l/r fork side height difference. Both seem even so wondering where to look next.
    1981 GS750L - Owned since 1990 when graduated high school and since have been discovering all the things not disclosed by seller.
    1983 GS750E - bought in 2016 as a rough runner to use while rebuilding 81L and then to combine with ES to make one good one
    1983 GS750ES - bought in Toronto in 2015 on a lark as a non-runner, missing front cowling and exhaust - If you have a 1983 750ES front cowling let me know! Blue would be nice

A lot of us on here are not balanced.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Front tire wear...?

Swingarm bushings loose....?

Front forks uneven, one in clamps higher than other....?

THose are what I might suspect. Are probably others.

If you only notice this when hands off, makes me wonder if steerring bearings are worn knotchy. Try turning bars slowly and see if feel ANY slight catches. THey will be evenly spaced.
      But those are usally worn so wants to go straight ahead and takes some effort to get away from there. So I dont really suspect that.

Let me ask this: when do have hands on the bars, does it take some steering pressure to keep it going straight?
      Last edited by Redman; 09-13-2019, 08:55 AM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Front tire wear...?

A...New (200 miles?)

Swingarm bushings loose....?

A....Will check, unlikely

Front forks uneven, one in clamps higher than other....?
        A...Look the same

THose are what I might suspect. Are probably others.

If you only notice this when hands off, makes me wonder if steerring bearings are worn knotchy. Try turning bars slowly and see if feel ANY slight catches. THey will be evenly spaced.
        But those are usally worn so wants to go straight ahead and takes some effort to get away from there. So I dont really suspect that

A.... Correct not to suspect that, bearings and races replaced at same time as tires. It's ben such a pleasure to ride since replacing the bearings and now it's so smooth and sensitive that I actually get to notice this pull with the hands off...it was so notchy prior I couldn't ride it hands off.

Let me ask this: when do have hands on the bars, does it take some steering pressure to keep it going straight?

A..... No, not anything that I can notice.
        1981 GS750L - Owned since 1990 when graduated high school and since have been discovering all the things not disclosed by seller.
        1983 GS750E - bought in 2016 as a rough runner to use while rebuilding 81L and then to combine with ES to make one good one
        1983 GS750ES - bought in Toronto in 2015 on a lark as a non-runner, missing front cowling and exhaust - If you have a 1983 750ES front cowling let me know! Blue would be nice

Comment

A lot of us on here are not balanced.

right butt cheek to go straight. wondering if there is an alignment issue somewhere
          but ...small roads can have noticeable camber -this is one I notice occasionally.

If it's noticeable everywhere you ride...well,

try a plumb bob once you have them inline.... I think being exactly inline is not so big an issue if they are pointed straight, but not being on the same vertical plane is a bad thing.

Comment

Chain drive....check the adjusters to make sure things are equal and rear axle is perpendicular to travel direction.
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

After replacing my fork springs I noticed the same alignment issue. I never got the forks out of the triple clamp but did remove the front wheel.

I was thinking I had the forks slightly misaligned when I tightened the fender and axle up. Loosened fender bolts and axle while on side stand, hopped on and grabbed the front brake and bounced a few times to get things to settle. Seems to have helped but still not perfect.

It definitely has something to do with the front end in my case.
              Roger

Current rides
              1983 GS 850G
              2003 FJR 1300A
              Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Yes, people say it helps to loosen everything except the top triple tree stanchions and giving it all a hard jump or two....I surmise that it's possible to tighten the lower tree with a little twist between upper and lower so that'd be the object of the exercise. The lowers should take care of themselves because they twist freely getting set with the axle, the disk and the fender but I trust the disk brake and axle most...the fender can be a little out, alignment wise....and I don't take it's lineup as seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                  Yes, people say it helps to loosen everything except the top triple tree stanchions and giving it all a hard jump or two....I surmise that it's possible to tighten the lower tree with a little twist between upper and lower so that'd be the object of the exercise. The lowers should take care of themselves because they twist freely getting set with the axle, the disk and the fender but I trust the disk brake and axle most...the fender can be a little out, alignment wise....and I don't take it's lineup as seriously.
                  I tried the alignment procedure on Del Boy's Garage youtube video and it certainly worked. Got rid of a slightly vague feeling after I'd rebuilt the front end and thought I was careful enough with the assembly.
                  ---- Dave
                  79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                  80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                  79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                  92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Just a late thought, but if one stanchion cap is leaking air, you might end up with a vacuum on one side? did these 650L s have air-valves?(the 650Gs do) so maybe check the cores of the valves or simply undo the caps to equalise and see if that helps temporarily?

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                      Just a late thought, but if one stanchion cap is leaking air, you might end up with a vacuum on one side? did these 650L s have air-valves?(the 650Gs do) so maybe check the cores of the valves or simply undo the caps to equalise and see if that helps temporarily?
                      Not uncommon for one leg to get pumped up more than the other, leading to some very odd handling.
                      ---- Dave
                      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                      X