GS750E Brake Concern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS750E Brake Concern

I have a bit of a concern about my rear brake caliper. It seems to be way too far to the left. You can see in the attached picture (still having trouble inserting the full size images in line, sorry!) it looks like the caliper body is likely rubbing the rotor just a bit, and it looks like no matter what the caliper mount will allow this to happen. Does anyone have any thoughts on how to remedy this? Is there some adjustment that can be done? Is something maybe structurally wrong with the bike? I need to rebuild the rear caliper so it's definitely coming off completely at some point. Is the solution as "simple" as an axle spacer, or is that not a thing on these bikes? Thanks for your comments in advance!
    Attached Files

Pop the plastic cover off and take another photo you may get a better look at the issue.....
    -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Could be the wrong brake caliper hanger.
      Could be the wrong spacer between the caliper & the bearing.
      Could be the wrong wheel spacer allowing the bearing to sit too far inboard.
      Could be the wrong Rotor.

Could also be an issue on the other side telegraphing through when the axle is torqued. How's your chain line?

Hard to tell much more from your pic.

1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by Gravity View Post
        I have a bit of a concern about my rear brake caliper. It seems to be way too far to the left. You can see in the attached picture (still having trouble inserting the full size images in line, sorry!) it looks like the caliper body is likely rubbing the rotor just a bit, and it looks like no matter what the caliper mount will allow this to happen. Does anyone have any thoughts on how to remedy this? Is there some adjustment that can be done? Is something maybe structurally wrong with the bike? I need to rebuild the rear caliper so it's definitely coming off completely at some point. Is the solution as "simple" as an axle spacer, or is that not a thing on these bikes? Thanks for your comments in advance!
        What year is your 750?

I would recommend that you review the rear wheel parts list for your year and model on partzilla to make sure you have all the appropriate spacers etc installed. I can't tell because we don't know yet what year your bike is but there may be a brake hanger spacer missing.
        Bikes:

1980 GS1000 restomod
        2006 GSXR 750

Comment

The rotor seems well centered between the pads, with the outside pad showing a little more wear.

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
          Could be the wrong brake caliper hanger.
          Could be the wrong spacer between the caliper & the bearing.
          Could be the wrong wheel spacer allowing the bearing to sit too far inboard.
          Could be the wrong Rotor.

Could also be an issue on the other side telegraphing through when the axle is torqued. How's your chain line?

Hard to tell much more from your pic.

The chain line looks okay, but I haven't taken the guard off to see for sure. It does sound like the chain kind of cyclically rubs on something a little excessively, but I haven't isolated that noise quite yet either.

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
          What year is your 750?

I would recommend that you review the rear wheel parts list for your year and model on partzilla to make sure you have all the appropriate spacers etc installed. I can't tell because we don't know yet what year your bike is but there may be a brake hanger spacer missing.
          Didn't even think to do that. If there is actually a specific brake hanger spacer that may be what I'm missing. Really it might just be some spacer of any kind missing.

I'll try to grab a decent picture of the whole rear axle as well as a close up of each side. Thanks!

Comment

The best way would be to take it apart & lay it out referencing one of the parts Fiche's online.
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Comparing the assembled rear wheel/hub to the parts fiche everything looks like it's there. Obviously can't compare what's in the hub (the bearings, the bearing carrier, and the spacer between the sprocket hub and center of the wheel), but there's no lateral play in the wheel, so it seems like everything ought to be there? So I have two remaining questions: Could someone with an identical rear wheel post up pictures of either side of the axle so I can at least see if my spacers are the right spacers (no way to tell from the grainy outlines in the fiches)? Is there any part number stamped on the caliper bracket, so I can verify it's the right one?

Comment

No part numbers on the caliper brackets that I have kicking around here... I would be surprised if it's that to be honest. The ones I have that are different are drastically so, not a little bit like your pics.
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Working...
                X