Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 1100 fork question

Hey Guys,

I have a set of 80-83 GS 1100 forks on my GS1000. I am looking to upgrade to Racetech or Sonic 1.0 spring rate.

when I research Race-tech, I seem to be getting conflicting information the the fork diameter. I have read online that they are 37mm, racetech site says 39mm and part number FRSP S3234100 says 41 mm. Can someone please help me clear this up. I will also be doing the twinpot brake conversion as well

I also hear that sonic and racetech are pretty much the same?
    Resized952019092395160549.jpg

Thanks,

They are 37mm; just measure them. You have a digital caliper don't you?

Comment

I just installed sonics 1.1 with 10 wt oil. Spring rate may be a bit too much but I love them. Went for about a 125 mile ride yesterday and it felt so much better. Very planted with no harshness at all. After spending the last 5 years on the track I now tend to break harder and there is little dive and no wallowing at higher speeds.

And YES, these GS’ need better brakes.
      1979 GS850G
      2004 SV650N track bike
      2005 TT-R125 pit bike
      LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Thanks for the report, Todd. I seem to remember suggesting the 10w oil to go with whichever springs you chose (1.0 or 1.1).

I have the 1.1 springs on my bike, but I have the added weight of a fairing, and it feels GREAT.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Are Sonic progressive?

I was told by my mechanic that the chart said to choose between .9 and 1.0 Race Tech (straight weight) because I was 160lbs and not at all aggressive on the front end. I quickly wished I had gone for 1.0 instead of .9, but I don't feel that anymore, even though I've gained weight.

I think the five years offsets the ten pounds. I'd still like to replace the air assist that I destroyed in an accident since I spent the money on the parts (including the special pump and gauge), and I like original functionality, even (especially) in practically invisible parts like these. The owner's manual recommends never changing the stock 7.1 lbs, though 1982's Cycle World suggests 12 lbs as a compromise between ground clearance and performance at the track. (I never go to the track.)
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Sonic springs are not progressively-wound.

Air used as a suspension medium can be a wonderful thing, but you have to have EVERYTHING working properly. One of the problems using air to supplement the coil springs in the forks is that any additional air pressure forces the seals against the fork tubes, causing them to stick harder, preventing movement. There is also a tendency to wear out quicker because of the additional friction.

You should be aware that even if you don't add any air, there WILL be air trapped inside your forks when you screw on the caps. As the forks are compressed when you hit a bump that air adds to the spring rate, and it does it progressively. Rather than add air to increase the effective spring rate, it would be better to add some preload to the coil springs, because the additional air is going to eventually leak out, anyway.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Can you tell me where you bought the pump/gauge? I've looked a bit and asked my local Suzuki shop and they looked at me like I had grown a third eye.
              Just an old guy trying to have a little fun with my toy.
              1980 GS1100E

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Keith Lane View Post
                Can you tell me where you bought the pump/gauge? I've looked a bit and asked my local Suzuki shop and they looked at me like I had grown a third eye.
                After much dicking around trying to find one, this came up trumps.
                I've been using it a lot, because the damned forks leak air every day, unlike the rear Showa air shocks which remain stubbornly airtight.
                If not for the leakage I'd be quite happy with the ride quality, but it's the leakage that is driving me back towards a simple straight-rate spring again (the originals were progressive mushy things, but they did ok).
                ---- Dave
                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

The gauge in Grimly's link is a good gauge. You are looking for something that will handle LOW pressures, mostly less than 25 psi. Some bicycle hand pumps will work, but their gauges might be for higher pressures. Low air loss when connecting/disconnecting is a plus, too.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride

Comment

The pump and gauge (one package) are Drag Specialties. I may have ordered them from the local Suzuki dealer, who ordered them from I don't know where.

image.jpg
                    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                      I've been using it a lot, because the damned forks leak air every day, unlike the rear Showa air shocks which remain stubbornly airtight.
                      If not for the leakage I'd be quite happy with the ride quality, but it's the leakage that is driving me back towards a simple straight-rate spring again (the originals were progressive mushy things, but they did ok).
                      https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                      Thanks!
                      Do you get much leakage when you disconnect?
                      I've looked off and on for a while, just didn't ask in the right place till now!
                      Just an old guy trying to have a little fun with my toy.
                      1980 GS1100E

sigpic

Comment

Thanks!
                        Do you get much leakage when you disconnect?
                        I've looked off and on for a while, just didn't ask in the right place till now!
                        I think it barely loses half a psi on disconnection.
                        ---- Dave
                        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          I seem to remember suggesting the 10w oil to go with whichever springs you chose (1.0 or 1.1).
                          What weight oil is usually used, higher or lower than 10?

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                          https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                          This one looks to be a good deal less expensive that the one I bought and pictured, which is a separate pump and gauge. Don't think I've used either one.

Comment

Working...
                          X