rotor thickness spec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rotor thickness spec

what is my 82 gs650s rotor thickness spec? getting a digital caliper tomorrow and gonna check those aswell.

also for future ideas, can the discs or calipers be upgraded to something even better and not hard to install

and then what is my banjo sizes i probably asked this 3 separate times now i have oem stuff on there
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

Banjo is M10 fine (1.0).

Rotor spec will be in the manual.

1980 GS550ET

Comment

Originally posted by timebombprod View Post
      what is my 82 gs650s rotor thickness spec?
      I don't think the specs for a 650S are any different than they are for any other 650, except that they never made a 650S. If you are asking about your 650L, as steveb922 said, it's in the manual. If you don't happen to have a manual, just look between the mounting holes on the disc itself.

getting a digital caliper tomorrow and gonna check those aswell.
      Calipers will only work to check thickness if the discs are perfectly smooth and flat. If there are any grooves, the calipers will bridge across them and only measure the high points.

also for future ideas, can the discs or calipers be upgraded to something even better and not hard to install
      If your discs are worn and full of grooves and gouges, almost anything will be an upgrade. "Not hard to install"? They are all the same. You have to remove the front wheel from the bike, unbolt the current discs, install the new discs, put the wheel back on the bike. It will be considerably harder if you get discs with the wrong offset. You will either have to get the correct discs or go through a lot of effort to adjust the caliper mounts.

and then what is my banjo sizes i probably asked this 3 separate times now i have oem stuff on there
      This means that you probably haven't looked in any of those three separate times, but steveb922 answered it a fourth time for you.
      I ride many bikes.
      Some are even Suzukis.

Comment

Don't the rotors have the spec stamped on them?
        I doubt your rotors are worn out. My sad lonely single has 90k on it and is groovy and groovy.
        1983 GS 550 LD
        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Datsa Noydb View Post
          I don't think the specs for a 650S are any different than they are for any other 650, except that they never made a 650S. If you are asking about your 650L, as steveb922 said, it's in the manual. If you don't happen to have a manual, just look between the mounting holes on the disc itself.
          i meant 650s as in plural lol just the size but thanks for all the answers
          Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
          1982 XS650

Comment

just checked them with the caliper, front is supposed to be 5.0 =+- .2 and rear is supposed to be 6.7 =+- .2
            my front is 5.4-.5 all around or .22 of an inch and my rear is mainly 6.5 all around, so yes there is grooves but not much id say unless a "small" amount is actually alot. but my front is thicker than spec and rear is thinner? it says my rear is okay because the limit is 6.0.
            think the front rotor has been replaced?
            Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
            1982 XS650

Comment

just checked them with the caliper, front is supposed to be 5.0 =+- .2 and rear is supposed to be 6.7 =+- .2
              my front is 5.4-.5 all around or .22 of an inch and my rear is mainly 6.5 all around, so yes there is grooves but not much id say unless a "small" amount is actually alot. but my front is thicker than spec and rear is thinner? it says my rear is okay because the limit is 6.0.
              think the front rotor has been replaced?
              If the rotors are rivetted to the carriers, probably not replacements. I have detatched rivetted rotors - which started out thicker than 5.0mm - and thinned them to 5.0 for race use. To re-attatch, I use high tensile capscrews with cone-lock nuts. These are a high temp self-locking nut with a sheet metal insert rather than the usual nylon. If they aren't already drilled, I usually do that while they're off the carrier - and before thinning.

Comment

You'd expect the front to wear quicker than the rear
                1980 GS550ET

Comment

You can upgrade the brakes on an L but the bracket is a different shape for the leading axle forks vs the axle under... I've never had an L in my garage to develop one.
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                  X