1982 suzuki gs650 rearbrake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 suzuki gs650 rearbrake

bought a old used rear-brake off of ebay for my 82 gs650gl, arrived in the mail today. took a look at it and noticed 2 things that were different than the brake that was on my bike wheni got it.

1, there is only a single bleeder valve on thisbrake, where asthe one on my bike had 2.

2, the banjo i believe its called (big bolt that brake fluid feeds through line to go to) is on the bottom of the rear brake whereas the one on my bike sitsontop of the brake at an angle.

may have pics up soon.
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

Was the ebay caliper advertised as from a 82 GS 650GL? If not, why buy it? Is so, which caliper matches what’s shown in your owners manual/shop manual.

is there something wrong with your original caliper that can’t be fixed with a thorough cleaning, new seals, new pads, and maybe a new piston, if needed?

Does this bike run yet?
    Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 02-29-2020, 10:26 AM.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Here’s the stock unit..be suspicious of used units...both my spares are seriously frozen

44CD6B4D-AEB6-46D6-9046-CC96A0C98469.jpg
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Hum... your description of the one you bought from ebays sounds more like what see in microfische.
          What you describe of the one on your bike, doesnt sound like what see in microfische.

Might want to also examine the rear wheel, and brake disc.
          (probably not much question about the swingarm on a G/GL).

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

without going out to look at mine, your ebay brake caliper sounds to be the same as mine on an 82 650G (Not an L though)....
            .there is only a single bleeder valve on thisbrake
            and banjo bolt sounds the same too.... if it fits the L's mounting it should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
              without going out to look at mine, your ebay brake caliper sounds to be the same as mine on an 82 650G (Not an L though).... and banjo bolt sounds the same too.... if it fits the L's mounting it should be fine.
              it fits the mounts perfectly fine just the pistons were sticking out a bit already.... oh boy hopefully just needs a clean and not new pistons.....
              Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
              1982 XS650

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                Was the ebay caliper advertised as from a 82 GS 650GL? If not, why buy it? Is so, which caliper matches what’s shown in your owners manual/shop manual.

is there something wrong with your original caliper that can’t be fixed with a thorough cleaning, new seals, new pads, and maybe a new piston, if needed?

Does this bike run yet?

no i just picked a random caliper that i thought would compliment my bike nicely. yes its advertised for my bike and it fits perfect, what i am wondering though is what rear brake did i have fitted on previously,and with you bringing up did i clean them out to try to fix it,the pistons were pitted all the way around so they need a replacement but now im not sure that the piston set for my bike would be the one for this brake.

no unfortunately not running in the process of returning the shims and caliper to get a correct caliper and remeasure, oh i know this bike couldve been up forever ago if i took in what people told me from the start, the motives just not always there.

i just need to get these crappy old intake bolts out of my boots and replace the o-rings and bolts so i can put my carbs and box all back on. and of course get on with finishing my valve adjustment for it to run ofcourse. if the brake isnt a hassle to get working maybe everything will be working at the same time.
                Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                1982 XS650

Comment

Originally posted by timebombprod View Post
                  it fits the mounts perfectly fine just the pistons were sticking out a bit already.... oh boy hopefully just needs a clean and not new pistons.....
                  yes, I think it's a brute if someone let the pads wear and the rubber boots rot. The pistons get pushed out as the pads wear and the leaky boots allow the rust there...if they kept good pads on, the piston doesn't get out as far and so it'll more often be ok.

Comment

I have an 82 L, and my rear caliper is as you describe the new one. Single bleeder valve at the top and a banjo bolt connects on the bottom!

Comment

wonder what the one i have is, ill post a pic soon
                      Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                      1982 XS650

Comment

pics of the brake that was on there

Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                        1982 XS650

Comment

That's from an earlier GS - somewhere between 1977 and 1980.
                          1980 GS550ET

Comment

Originally posted by steveb922 View Post
                            That's from an earlier GS - somewhere between 1977 and 1980.
                            im assuming the new one should be better but just to make sure, is it?
                            Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                            1982 XS650

Comment

Working...
                            X