OEM Fork Seals Which Way is Up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OEM Fork Seals Which Way is Up?

Replacing fork seals on my 79 GS550E. The ones that were in there are aftermarket, they look different from my new ones, and are now mangled up from removal. I think they were leaking because they may have been installed upside down.
    I have OEM for seals in hand. My question is, which way is up? One side has some identification stamping, and the other side has a thinner outer lip. There are springs on both sides of the inner part of the seal. The side without writing has a deeper and wider recessed space between the outer wall of the seal (which will mate with the fork leg) and the inner part (which rides on the stanchion). Which side is up?
    I think the side with the writing is the top.
    Everything on the web (including the BassCliff tutorial) says "Be sure to install the seal with the side that has the spring facing inward/down." But both sides of these ones have springs.

PLZ HLP
    79' GS550EN

Pics maybe? Can't say I've seen seals with springs on both sides?
    Current:
    Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
    VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
    And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

if they are like these, they are in the right orientation
      in the picture.

Road-Passion-Motorcycle-37x49x8-10-5-Front-Fork-Damper-Shock-absorber-Oil-Seal-and-Dust-Seal.jpg.jpg
      Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
      VM Carb rebuild tutorial
      Bikecliff's website
      The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

well if the seal has a spring on both sides you cant really get it upside down.
        Last edited by Cipher; 04-24-2020, 08:16 PM.
        1983 GS 550 LD
        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

numbers / letters up
          GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

I've had a lot of different bikes over the years but not that particular model. On every one of those there was a slit or groove on them where you could see a spring inside, the opposite side didn't have that. In that case, the groove/spring side faced toward the leg.

Looking at the parts fische for your model it doesn't show clearly enough which side of the seals that are in pictures above would go in. Letter side up is a good guess.

Judging by the pic on the fische it appears that there's a washer looking type spacer on the leg side and a retainer that goes on top to keep it into place. If it where me, I'd take the spacer, seal and retainer in hand and go with the letter side up and see how that spacer lines up under the seal then see how the retainer fits on top. If that looks like it makes sense I'd go with it, if it doesn't look like it makes sense, try it the other way. If neither side makes sense then maybe the seals aren't correct for that fork.
            1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
            1982 GS450txz (former bike)
            LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Thanks for the reply folks. LAB3, I realized that I'm missing those spacers after looking at all my parts on the bench. Im wondering now if not having that spacer in there has led to a negative spade below the seal or some movement that made them leak. I ordered the spacers, should be here on Tuesday. Im thinking numbers up makes sense. Here are some photos. These are surprisingly hard to get. Note the depth difference. Up side?.jpg
              79' GS550EN

Comment

I think this side goes down. Down side?.jpg
                79' GS550EN

Comment

^^^^ Looks like you guessed right to me! If those spacers or whatever they are where gone that would certainly answer the "why didn't this work" question. It's always good to know you're on the right track, it's also good that you where able to find the parts you needed.
                  1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                  1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                  LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by derwood View Post
                    numbers / letters up
                    yes. numbers/letters up.

Comment

Working...
                    X