Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I ride the bike with oil sweating from one front fork?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I ride the bike with oil sweating from one front fork?

I am planning a 2000 kilometer-ish trip, the shop can't get the simmerings before after I'm back. After I ride there is a few drops of oil around the fork leg. So its not leaking a ton.

Is it safe to ride with it? What happens if it runs out of oil?

I am having it fixed, but Id really like to bring my bike on the trip. But obviously if Im going to destroy the suspension or something I will borrow a Yamaha or something.

What do you think?
    GS1000G 1981

You'll probably experience wacky feeling steering as the oil continues to leak and chances are your front tire will cup. Fork seals aren't that big a job and shouldn't cost more than $25 in parts and $10 for oil. How much will a new front tire run you?
    1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
      You'll probably experience wacky feeling steering as the oil continues to leak and chances are your front tire will cup. Fork seals aren't that big a job and shouldn't cost more than $25 in parts and $10 for oil. How much will a new front tire run you?
      Cost or labour isn't an issue. I think the fork job sounds complicated so I want the shop to do it, the problem is getting the rings here (they said they'll have them by the 8th). I need to hitch a ride over the mountain (possibly icy, bellow freezing), and Ive gotten an offer to go on the 4th.

What do you mean by "will cup?" My tire is Bridgestone Battlax BT45, think they are around 150 usd. Will the oil ruin the tyre or will the tyre deform because of uneven suspension?
      GS1000G 1981

Comment

People very often ride with leaky seals and one day the leak miraculously stops.
        Are actual drops rolling down the fork leg? Or is it a slow seeping leak.

The latter I would take the risk.
        1983 GS 550 LD
        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
          People very often ride with leaky seals and one day the leak miraculously stops.
          Are actual drops rolling down the fork leg? Or is it a slow seeping leak.

The latter I would take the risk.
          It is pretty slow. The fork is wet with oil (like a few drops) and the rubber dust-stopper (I assume?) sometimes has a little oil on the back. Its not running down the leg, and it does not appear to get near the rotors. Like, a few drops. I was paying attention to it today and it doesn't seem like a lot.

I will absolutely have them fixed (have an appointment on the 8th), but getting to ride across the country would be great (I need the bike trailered down, because of the ice/snow on the mountain). Sadly I can only get it trailered the 4th. Id have to postpone the fix until after the weekend though (to have time to get back without being exhausted).

I could borrow a modern bike, I have the norweigan equal to tripple a, and I have the time to camp somewhere if I get stranded. But Id much rather have my bike.
          GS1000G 1981

Comment

Put the bike up on the centerstand. Now, inspect the leading edge of the upper fork leg very carefully. Do you see any nicks or dings? If you do, take some extra fine steel wool and lightly buff those dings. Don't need to make them disappear, just knock the rough edges off.
            About a 30% chance you can stop the leaking this way.
            '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Swapping seals isn't technically complex but there's a lot of steps involved. Guess my point was doing it yourself. If you have a shelter such as a garage it's worth considering. Adding confidence in the knowledge you can do something you never did before extends far beyond your motorcycle!

Had one bike that leaked to the point where the oil contaminated the brake pads, this was only after 500 miles (About 800km in the sane countries) This left me with a bike that cornered horribly and had almost useless front brakes. Yes, they mysteriously stopped leaking, when the oil was drained out.

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
                Put the bike up on the centerstand. Now, inspect the leading edge of the upper fork leg very carefully. Do you see any nicks or dings? If you do, take some extra fine steel wool and lightly buff those dings. Don't need to make them disappear, just knock the rough edges off.
                and how about the flexible thin plastic hook (carved milk container?) that you sneak in between upper fork leg and seal, and do a 360 deg 'scrape' just in case there's a grain of dirt, sand, norwegian basalt, that you can remove? (approx 5% success rate )
                Last edited by ptegsotic; 04-28-2020, 04:59 PM.
                1100 Katana / 1100 ES

pragmatic not dogmatic

Comment

Here's a good explanation about tire cupping, they talk about car tires but the same concept applies.

Cupped tires usually don’t mean there’s something wrong with the rubber itself. The reasons are in the vehicle, but it’s not difficult to solve them.

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
                    I will definitively try this. Can I take the dust cap off easily? With the forks still attached? I tried screwing it off, but it does not appear to be threaded...

Swapping seals isn't technically complex but there's a lot of steps involved. Guess my point was doing it yourself. If you have a shelter such as a garage it's worth considering. Adding confidence in the knowledge you can do something you never did before extends far beyond your motorcycle!

Had one bike that leaked to the point where the oil contaminated the brake pads, this was only after 500 miles (About 800km in the sane countries) This left me with a bike that cornered horribly and had almost useless front brakes. Yes, they mysteriously stopped leaking, when the oil was drained out.
                    I would consider swapping them myself usually, my issue now is that all the tools from the garage is gone (my work is moving), and that I won't have the new seals before the shop does. I am confident the next time it needs new seals I will do it myself (but I think they last fairly long).

I have allready ridden 950 kilometers like this, and it still has oil and I haven't noticed any brake issue. I feel the steering is different than the Yamahas Ive been riding, but Im thinking narrow tyres are more likely than odd suspension. The tyres also have snaky patterns in the middle (Battlax BT45).

Originally posted by ptegsotic View Post
                    and how about the flexible thin plastic hook (carved milk container?) that you sneak in between upper fork leg and seal, and do a 360 deg 'scrape' just in case there's a grain of dirt, sand, norwegian basalt, that you can remove? (approx 5% success rate )
                    This I am apprehensive about trying, Im scared I might increase the problem. Also Id have to use a juice contianer (milk here comes in cardboard).

Here's a good explanation about tire cupping, they talk about car tires but the same concept applies.

https://www.utires.com/articles/cupp...revention-faq/
                    Oh, that is a lot less problematic than I though. I think these tires should be good for about 12 000 km, 2000 km of uneven wear won't make that much of a difference. And when the rear is bald (3mm) Ill replace both (Im not riding while it is snowing with bald tires). In generall I don't trust another persons tires or fluids (never know what happened to the tires, or what fluids they used, when I was young trusting fluids made me kill my Corollas transmission crossing a mountain).
                    GS1000G 1981

Comment

Originally posted by Noreg View Post
                      I will definitively try this. Can I take the dust cap off easily? With the forks still attached? I tried screwing it off, but it does not appear to be threaded...
                      You can’t take it off, but you should be able to pry it up. There’s typically a lip on the inside of the dust cap that sits in a groove on the lower fork leg.
                      Last edited by RichDesmond; 04-28-2020, 06:04 PM.
                      '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

I am planning a 2000 kilometer-ish trip, the shop can't get the simmerings before after I'm back. After I ride there is a few drops of oil around the fork leg. So its not leaking a ton.

Is it safe to ride with it? What happens if it runs out of oil?

I am having it fixed, but Id really like to bring my bike on the trip. But obviously if Im going to destroy the suspension or something I will borrow a Yamaha or something.

What do you think?
                        You can try this for a temporary fix.... I used it one time and it worked til I got around to changing the seals.....

Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                        Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                        1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
                          You can try this for a temporary fix.... I used it one time and it worked til I got around to changing the seals.....

likely the video I saw.
                          tough to trust a 'viccy' of course ... but it did work for me once!
                          1100 Katana / 1100 ES

pragmatic not dogmatic

Comment

When I first got Suzi in 2013, I brought it to New York Motorcycle in Queens, a Honda-Kaw-Yamaha-Suzuki dealership for inspection. Guy took a quick look and said it won't pass, fork oil is leaking onto the brakes. No big deal, seals are $100 and change parts and labor. Mechanics looked to be barely half as old as the bike.

A few months later, a real builder/tuner/racer changed my springs and told me the the axle clamps (crimps?) had been installed backwards.

And yeah, I rode for about a week with both forks leaking onto the brakes.
                            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

It can be wett and drip a little for a long time, or it can start slobbering a lot real quick and blow in wind all over, and/or can run down onto onto brake pads - - not good.

I .. .. . . . . . . Can I take the dust cap off easily? With the forks still attached? I tried screwing it off, but it does not appear to be threaded... .
                              THe rubber caps..?
                              Yep.
                              Push up on the edge of in one place with your thumb. You can feel the rib inside come out the groove in the fork, them move thumb around pushing out more of it.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Working...
                              X