Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there M+S or 3mpsf tyres that fits the GS1000G?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there M+S or 3mpsf tyres that fits the GS1000G?

Id like some tyres to extend my range in the beginning and end of the season.

It sucks to be trapped here, with snow/ice in both directions.

Maybe I need a winter bike...
    GS1000G 1981

I've used the Shinko 705's... they fit & work ok. You could also get Tourance by Meztler, the Karoo 3, Heidenau scout... i've run them all. Depends how "off road" you want them to be. There is a lot of choice that will fit.
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
      I've used the Shinko 705's... they fit & work ok. You could also get Tourance by Meztler, the Karoo 3, Heidenau scout... i've run them all. Depends how "off road" you want them to be. There is a lot of choice that will fit.
      I care a lot more about the S than the M. I want snow grip. I ride on so little mud I can just slow down.
      GS1000G 1981

Comment

I'd guess you'll want chains in the end....Ice is what scares me or maybe a little less- hardpacked snow -not so much fresh snow that I won't go out in anyways... apart from motorcycles' "street tires" already having softer rubber (a feature of cars' winter tires) I don't know if a knobby tire is any better than a street tire on ice ..I suppose the reduced area of rubber-on-the-road means there is more weight born by the rubber, but the area is reduced so it sems to cancel out?

Comment

Whatever jedz123 uses. PM him if he doesn’t respond here. He lives in Vermont, The Norway of the US and rides most of the year round.
          Rich
          1982 GS 750TZ
          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
          Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
            I'd guess you'll want chains in the end....Ice is what scares me or maybe a little less- hardpacked snow -not so much fresh snow that I won't go out in anyways... apart from motorcycles' "street tires" already having softer rubber (a feature of cars' winter tires) I don't know if a knobby tire is any better than a street tire on ice ..I suppose the reduced area of rubber-on-the-road means there is more weight born by the rubber, but the area is reduced so it sems to cancel out?
            Ice is predictable and easy though. I know where there might be ice. Snow on the other hand is a finicky bastard. It can start snowing at any time, and there might be slush anywhere. Even when the temperatures makes sense for riding. And even while its not snowing, the wind might blow it into the road.

I don't think knobs helps much, but M+S rated tyres have other compounds. Like my fat bike (bicycle) tyres without studs are okay unless you have to brake (the studded tyres for that bike is a work of art, wet ice is not even slightly an issue, sadly they arent rated for motorcycles). My logic is, they have M+S motorcycle tyres, if all motorcycles were good enough for that mark they'd slap it on every single tyre they make. For truck tyres they pretty much have the mark for anything that remotely resembles having the ability to drive on snow. I wish I could have a track day on snow, and slush with warm tyres and see how it works, maybe Im just too cautious.

For anything less than 4 tonnes it makes no sense with chains, unless you're stuck.
            GS1000G 1981

Comment

The treads on MC street tires don't agree with M+S ...but the rubber is definitely as soft. I wonder if Dirt bike tires are maybe harder, because the sharp edges of the lugs grind down quick..but I don't know..however I have seen tires with spikes and such on ice.

I used to get caught in falling snow occassionally when I was young with 20 miles of mountain highway and city streets between me and home at night. Going down a mountain-steep snowy straight road with stopsigns on the way (22nd in West Van if you know the area) is no joke and I will be happy if I never do it again. But do wonder if the tires then were better for that situation than modern tires- ribbed front with a traction rear was the norm in the 70's.

but Whatever, maybe you haven't any there, but here, it's the blithe idiots who will drive in the snow without tires or wisdom that'll get you.

Comment

holy hell that has to be one of the most northerly habitated spots on earth
                1983 GS 550 LD
                2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
                  holy hell that has to be one of the most northerly habitated spots on earth
                  Harstad? Its only 68 degrees north, I used to live in Alta (7-8 hour drive north), and people live as far as Nordkapp (71 degrees north), and the most northern city is Hammerfest (like 9 and a half hour away).

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                  The treads on MC street tires don't agree with M+S ...but the rubber is definitely as soft. I wonder if Dirt bike tires are maybe harder, because the sharp edges of the lugs grind down quick..but I don't know..however I have seen tires with spikes and such on ice.

I used to get caught in falling snow occassionally when I was young with 20 miles of mountain highway and city streets between me and home at night. Going down a mountain-steep snowy straight road with stopsigns on the way (22nd in West Van if you know the area) is no joke and I will be happy if I never do it again. But do wonder if the tires then were better for that situation than modern tires- ribbed front with a traction rear was the norm in the 70's.

but Whatever, maybe you haven't any there, but here, it's the blithe idiots who will drive in the snow without tires or wisdom that'll get you.
                  There is tires that is like, 80% street and 20% gravel/dirt and so on. I struggle to find the right dimensions though. I find lots of tiny tires for like mopeds (scooters). Spiked tires would be illegal now (but probably not enforced if I say Im going north), and I doubt this bike is one Id be willing to let rust appart from all the salt.

Stop signs is a concept i don't understand, and they annoy me sooo much. I imagine driving a manual bus stopping every intersection, would be infuriating. Our driving schools bus has 7 gears going forward, its a lot of shifting when you stop... My fear is crossing a mountain in bellow freezing being stuck in wind or it starting to snow heavily. Its huge distances here, riding bellow freezing is COLD, and having to stop randomly in heavy snow on a mountain is somewhat terrifying. Waddling the bike while cars are doing 80kmh (60ish mph) is also scary in the snow.

Skill definitively helps, but I am fairly inexperienced at riding, on four wheels Im brilliant on ice and snow though. Or on a fatbike, but 17 kilos of bike is a little easier to manage (and it has knobby tires)...
                  GS1000G 1981

Comment

I've got a Golden Tyre G201 on the rear of mine. A 130/80-17.
                    ---- Dave
                    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

What about these?

"Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                      1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                        Narrowest rear there is a 150 - won't fit. Max width in a stock 850/1000G swingarm/drive is 140 and that's if you get lucky enough to find one, as most of them foul the driveline.
                        ---- Dave
                        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Ah, damn. I didn't look at the sizes.
                          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                          1982 CB900f

Comment

cmon! Crazy-talk! a GS1000G in snow? If you want to ride in snow, get a smaller bike. A 250 or a 400 (a single 400 might be better? or maybe not-too much torque?) can keep up with traffic and won't crush you so badly when it falls on you. Easier to stop, and not so prone to skid out taking off if your heavily-mittened and numb hands misjudge the throttle...

Comment

I don't think we should be trying to convince Noreg not to ride in the snow. He knows what he's doing.
                              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                              1982 CB900f

Comment

Working...
                              X