Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I change the studs for the rear suspension?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I change the studs for the rear suspension?

For some reason one of the sides has a thinner tip than the other (one is m10 the other is m6 or m8). The threads on the m10 looks less than satisfactory. This is the top end.

The o rings for the ohlins is mostly broken too. Springs are a bit rusty. Can I get all the spacers and things for the shocks? And reasonably priced springs?

The one on the left with the m8/6 bolt lacks all of the spacer things. This has been solved with a seemingly random assortion of oil pan washers and various other washers.

I am a bit uncertain if I should just buy some other shocks. Ohlins are somewhat too expensive for me.

I feel the shocks wont really go far ebough into the studs too. There is no spacers or washers on the bottom...
    GS1000G 1981

You would have to drill them out & replace them with a bolt then weld them in from the back. You could also potentially drill right through & use a nut & bolt. I think It's acceptable to file off the threads carefully & cut threads the next size down (or switch to an imperial thread) as long as you don't interfere with the shoulder the shock sits on... (sounds like someone did that one one side already). There is not much force in the outward plane.

Threads usually get trashed when people add racks etc to them and don't take out washers so either the rack or the shock ride on the threads & trash them.
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
      You would have to drill them out & replace them with a bolt then weld them in from the back. You could also potentially drill right through & use a nut & bolt. I think It's acceptable to file off the threads carefully & cut threads the next size down (or switch to an imperial thread) as long as you don't interfere with the shoulder the shock sits on... (sounds like someone did that one one side already). There is not much force in the outward plane.

Threads usually get trashed when people add racks etc to them and don't take out washers so either the rack or the shock ride on the threads & trash them.
      Is it okay to remove a spacer and have the bolt closer? The threads seems a lot more sensible there.
      GS1000G 1981

Comment

In theory the shocks should be as straight as possible in order to prevent binding. In practice I suspect you'd get away with it but you may find you get more wear on the shock...
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
          In theory the shocks should be as straight as possible in order to prevent binding. In practice I suspect you'd get away with it but you may find you get more wear on the shock...
          Hmm, new ohlins are £730 each. Crazy.

all the spacers were on the outside of the shock before anyways, so I feel putting the bolt there instead would be the same. But they seem to be sweating oil, have rust on the springs so I suspect i need to do something about them anyways.
          GS1000G 1981

Comment

you can get your shocks rebuilt for less money. Ohlins are completely rebuidable, unless damaged

Plus, you won't find a better shock
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
              you can get your shocks rebuilt for less money. Ohlins are completely rebuidable, unless damaged

Plus, you won't find a better shock
              I sent an email to one of the local importers. Hope he can hook me up with o-rings, spacers, oil, springs and seals.
              GS1000G 1981

Comment

The guy sent me an answer with a list of shops that does the work. He says they need service every 35-40 000 km. And that it costs about 2-3000 nok for a standard service, but I would be looking at more because I was overdue (my bike has less than 20k kilometers on the odo, so I still have 20k left? :P).

Apparently what I thought was a sponge to soak up excess oil, is supposed to be a solid rubber bump stop. He said I need new ones.

I sent an email to one of the shops, but I have yet to receive a reply.

But with that kind of pricing, it seems its affordable to have them rebuilt. But a bit annoying you have to ship them in for service every other year.

I hope they also repaint them so they become pretty again.
                GS1000G 1981

Comment

Servicing every other year isn't needed on a lightly used road bike. Maybe for a race bike or and offroad bike. Typically as long as oil isn't leaking and the nitrogen pressure is where it should be you can just ride.

The springs can be sandblasted and repainted. I rebuilt some Works shocks a few years back and other than having to find someone to charge the nitrogen it was easily doable at home.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                    Servicing every other year isn't needed on a lightly used road bike. Maybe for a race bike or and offroad bike. Typically as long as oil isn't leaking and the nitrogen pressure is where it should be you can just ride.

The springs can be sandblasted and repainted. I rebuilt some Works shocks a few years back and other than having to find someone to charge the nitrogen it was easily doable at home.
                    I figure a season of normal riding is about 20 000 km. So if I go by their recommendations, I will need one every other year.

Now based on the condition of them, I am assuming they have done fine without service since the bike was new (or the shocks were).
                    GS1000G 1981

Comment

You can see those rebuilt works shocks in my signature...
                      1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Working...
                      X