1981 GS450 shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 GS450 shocks

Last friday I bought my '81 GS450. Lovely bike, just that the previous owner was a bit short, I noticed that the shocks are 280mm length, which puts the rear wheel too close, almost inside the fender.

Any idea what the original length is supposed to be? I've gathered somewhere between 310-340 mm. Is that right?

Suzuki GS450 (min) 02.jpg

Not sure about the 450 in particular, but most of the GS line used 330mm shocks.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

That's a shame because those Hagons look nice
      1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
      1977 GS550
      1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

yes...translates to 12" to 13" long off the bike. Here's a stock photo of a gsx400E (identical to 450E except engine)...it depends somewhat on the model. The 450L and the 450T will have slightly shorter shocks and fatter tires.

I'd have to go out and look at mine to see if it has the clearance shown in this stock photo below...springs sag if stored if the weight is always on them but these are pretty light motorcycles too....

1980_GSX400E_500.jpg

Comment

Thanks for your input boys. And is there any particular brand I should get, or will most 330mm length, and 12mm mount hole diam shock do?

For instance the preload on springs, does it vary alot between shocks?
          Last edited by Guest; 08-10-2020, 11:06 AM.

Comment

I have a set from a Honda on my GSX400T now....so, if it fits , it's worth a try. On my GSX400 E (like your450E but red) I have the shocks it came with but they are not "progressively wound" springs like yours(progressive wound is when the coils are close together at one end)All my shocks work best for me with ONE notch preset but I only weigh 150#...
            add: more preset, longer shocks will probably ease putting the bike on centre-stand...which is suprising hard on these apparently small bikes-almost the same as a GS650..Honda and Kawasaki I have are much easier...I think they used the same centrestand throughout models but I haven't measured....

As to replacements...it's something I've researched ....but particularly Progressive brand...and ebay cheapies- be aware of the damper rod size (the shiny rod you see going into the shock) it need be the same diameter or possibly larger. ... the Progressive shocks have some appeal in that you can reuse your springs if they are the correct length to suit the (fully)extended shock-you will need to compare diameters of spring "thickness" and relaxed height to the Progressive ...the OEM Showa units are fairly easy to dissassemble to spring and shock, just like cars...squeeze the springs and remove the cap.
            Hagons are popular too. There is a chart that shows replacements for your bike.."33012" or "33013" and then a I'm assuming the length is the last two numbers...Hagons have a stainless steel option I think...

It gets complicated comparing but you need your length, your shock's mount type, the bushing size required for your bolt size, some idea of your GVRW etc...

in the end for Progessive I came up with this that I never acted on:
            "Progressive OEM#: 12-1202B 13" length (no springs )" for what it's worth!
            Last edited by Gorminrider; 08-10-2020, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Thanks Gormin for your elaborate lesson. Yes, that center stand is a pain, I managed to hurt both of my shins, each at a time, trying to lever the bike up. I guess I need more practice on that, I'm sure there's a youtube video on the subject.

I'm not too keen on disassembling, or assembling any shocks to mix and match springs, my current ones are 280mm and on their loosest setting I've noticed the spring can be moved sideways, so the spring isn't that compressed which means it won't stretch more.

And I understand that progressive springs are prefered to the linear wound springs? I gather they perform differently depending on the load and compression, like soft at first, then gradually harder. Is that right? But looking at old adverts for GS450 it seems Suzuki didn't use progressive springs back then, or ?

Then, I seem to have found Hagons on ebay that will retro fit my GS450, also I found cheaper alternatives which look great. Like these :

Comment

yes, sorry, I tend to fill the bucket with stuff on the chance it helps...
                I gather they perform differently depending on the load and compression, like soft at first, then gradually harder. Is that right?
                Yes, as the close windings compress, they lock up and don't compress further...personally, I prefer linear wound based on the examples I ride. The progressive wound seem like some sort of trick to get a suitable ride from a shorter shock length but it's just a guess. No doubt there's a body of info online.

looking at old adverts for GS450 it seems Suzuki didn't use progressive springs back then, or ?
                Not sure but my third-hand '81 GSX400T came with a set. Someone might have changed from OEM - a bit shorter than 13"....To ride, they are ...ok, but give a harder ride than the Honda ones i swapped in.... and being a little shorter made the centrestand that much harder.

The linked cheapie ebay ones look ok. I want you to buy a set and tell us all how they are! Emgo also offers budget replacement shocks. I'd want to be sure they have the same shaft size ( a 125 or 250cc can have skinnier shocks) and that the bushing diameters suit.

On ebay, he has good feedback but I like to read some to see if there's any comments specifically about the shocks...

did I mention the OEM ones that came with the bikes were Showa? as are the front forks...the labels peel off.
                Last edited by Gorminrider; 08-11-2020, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Good luck with those cheap eBay specials.

My son's 1000G came with a pair of them. The spring rate is probably pretty close for my son, who has an enhanced gravitational attraction, but the damping is set up for a Mack truck. When there is also a passenger on the bike, the ride smoothes out quite nicely, but when riding solo, there may as well be solid struts in place.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Well, I bought a couple of 330 mm Hagon from Germany. Here they are:

I would really love to buy several sets of various brands, length 330-340 mm, with various springs, to try out on my Suzuki. Öhlins would be great if tuned to the exact weight of my bike with me on it, know they make digitally controlled real-time adjustable shocks. Though I fear that Öhlins would be very expensive, and not fit my 1981 Suzuki very well stylewise. What brands did the japanese motorcycle manufacturers use back then?

Comment

Originally posted by uncletom View Post
                      What brands did the japanese motorcycle manufacturers use back then?
                      Showa on just about everything leaving the factory, as far as I could see.
                      10mile shocks. It took 10 miles to realise they were crap.
                      ---- Dave
                      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                      X