Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

correct pads for my calipers?

Hi,

since swiss legislation does not allow saltymonk's twinpot upgrade, I bought some used calipers to at least upgrade from those tiny round brake pads to pads with more surface area (1978 GS1000E).

I bought these calipers, but the seller was not sure from which model (many GS' used those between 81 and 86 I think), but they should bolt right on (i.e. not from an L model).

Looking at the different fiches it seems I need those pads

...but some GS models also have those...

...but then I guess those fit into the calipers with the rectang...ly shaped casing. But it is quite impossible to check all the fiches..

Can anybody confirm the MCB501 ones fit my calipers?
    sigpic
    1978 GS1000 EC

They look sufficiently different to ther versions I'm using (which take the 509) to suggest they'll be the 501 version.
    Fit a decent modern span-adjustable master cylinder, too.
    I recommend the Deauville 5/8" from 2001-onwards.
    Last edited by Grimly; 09-04-2020, 03:13 PM.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Thanks Dave. Is it strongly recommended to replace the master cylinder? Mine seems to be fine, and since I have a vintage plate everything should look more or less stock.

Anyway, process is delayed since the pistons were pitted at the rim (which I made worse by trying to pry them out). Bottom line is they are pretty much useless now.
      2020-10-19 17.46.22.jpg
      I ordered some new ones with seals and everything at brake-masters.com. Those calipers I got have the early 36x38mm pistons (as opposed to the 38x38mm of the newer versions), but the sales guy said, they have them.
      Delivery is stuck in Swiss customs at the moment, but I hope to get them this week.
      sigpic
      1978 GS1000 EC

Comment

You can keep the original m/c if you want, there's nothing particularly wrong with it.
        It's just that the later m/cs tend to have better ergonomics, and I've developed a preference for the Deauville one, which doesn't look out of place on a 40 year old bike. Same bore size, so if you find the stopping power satisfactory, there's no downside.

On a related note, on my XS650, I overhauled the standard calipers (surprisingly little wear for the mileage they've done) and went from a factory size 11/16th inch (17.5mm) m/c down to a 14mm m/c from a Kwack.
        The result was a superb set of brakes, but there was too much lost motion at the lever, caused by the slight rocking in the calipers.
        I went to the trusty Deauville m/c (5/8th inch - nearly 16mm) and the result is perfect - still got two-finger braking with no lost motion.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Those calipers take the 501 pads. Be sure to check the sliding pins and grease them with heavy moly caliper grease.

The master cylinder should have a 5/8" piston. If it's not leaking it's most likely okay. I'd change the brake lines while you are cleaning everything up. Braided stainless is good.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I did not see any "pitting" in that photo.

Yeah, I saw some damage around the edge of the rim, but that will not have any impact on operation.
            Just file the ragged edges smooth and put them back in.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by superawesome View Post
              (...)

Anyway, process is delayed since the pistons were pitted at the rim (which I made worse by trying to pry them out). Bottom line is they are pretty much useless now.
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]61920[/ATTACH]
              (...)
              I agree with Steve, that's cosmetic damage.
              #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
              #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
              #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
              #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Originally posted by roeme View Post
                I agree with Steve, that's cosmetic damage.
                Cool, thanks guys.
                sigpic
                1978 GS1000 EC

Comment

Working...
                X