Avon Roadrider Discontinued?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Avon Roadrider Discontinued?!

I've been happily riding on Avon Roadrider AM26 tires for several years now (after reading the recommendation of this forum).
    I ride my GS550E everyday as a commuter, and I put around 9,000 miles on it per year.
    I've been happy with these tires. The rears usually last me about 9k miles, and the front longer.
    I figured I'd just keep using these tires forever, BUT...
    now that I'm due for a tire change, I can't find these tires anymore, and I've been told that they have been discontinued (at least in my sizes)!

Has anyone else been told that these tires have been discontinued? I'm wondering what people are switching to if these really aren't available anymore. I know the Shinkos are recommended, but I'd really like something that lasts a little longer so I don't have to do so many tire changes.

They are discontinued, as they Mk II version is out, new and improved compound.
    Just go to Avon Motorcycle Tire

I see them on many major online stores, so I don't know where you have looked.
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

These guys sell both the old and new version.
      America's trusted online source to shop the best discounted Motorcycle, UTV, ATV, Side by Side, and 4 Wheeler aftermarket tires, gear, parts and accessories.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thank you! I hadn't come across the MKII version yet. Looks like the 110/90-18s I use for my rear are out of stock everywhere, but hopefully that's just temporary, and I'll be able to find them soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
          They are discontinued, as they Mk II version is out, new and improved compound.
          Just go to Avon Motorcycle Tire

I see them on many major online stores, so I don't know where you have looked.
          Surely you don't mean this tire? This is what comes up when I searched??
          The Avon Speedmaster is a classic ribbed front tire for your vintage bike and is a perfect match to the Avon Safety Mileage Rear Tire.
          No signature

Comment

Nah, think he means these. Avon Roadrider MKII. But the 110/90R18 does appear to be out of stock, at least at Revzilla.
            Rich
            1982 GS 750TZ
            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
            Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Which just goes to show how advertising has overwhelmed actual information

No, I meant the AM 26
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by malanosa View Post
                Thank you! I hadn't come across the MKII version yet. Looks like the 110/90-18s I use for my rear are out of stock everywhere, but hopefully that's just temporary, and I'll be able to find them soon.
                Use the 4.00-18 instead. I use that one
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

They do appear to have the AM26 in that size
                  Rich
                  1982 GS 750TZ
                  2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                  Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

I decided to try an AM26 front and went looking, only to find they had been discontinued. I'll order the New Improved Mk2 Roadrider.
                    Not the Speedmaster MkII, that belongs in the 1950s, where it can stay.
                    ---- Dave
                    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Thanks everyone. I'll get the Roadrider Mark II up front and sounds like it will have to be the AM26 for the rear.
                      How does the 4.00-18 differ from the 110/90-18? Are the width and aspect ratio slightly different? I'm not familiar with that tire sizing convention.
                      I'm assuming 4" wide (which would be slightly narrower than 110 mm).

Comment

110 mm is 4.33" so the metric size is a bit wider, and sidewall aspect is a bit less in metric. I checked Google and the 4.00x18 = 102/95-18 so it's 5mm shorter on the metric. (only .2 inches). I had put an AM26 110/90-18 on front of my GS1100E and it was too chunky, then bought a Honda CB750 and it worked out fine to swap onto the rear of the Honda, and then I got a 100/90 for the GS. So it all worked out.

I expect a couple tenths here and there aren't an issue but I also expect someone will differ with me, that's the law of the internet forum.

I got a MKII on my latest AM26 and I didn't expect it, had wondered why the Roadriders were out of stock in the sizes I wanted, then the new ones came in. Looks the same.

Thanks everyone. I'll get the Roadrider Mark II up front and sounds like it will have to be the AM26 for the rear.
                        How does the 4.00-18 differ from the 110/90-18? Are the width and aspect ratio slightly different? I'm not familiar with that tire sizing convention.
                        Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                        '79 GS100E
                        Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

many Avon RoadRiders are reversible to suit the rear's "hard-to-find" size. On a lighter bike this works great.

Comment

Working...
                          X