Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS1100E front master cylinder dripping from bottom air valve - fixable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100E front master cylinder dripping from bottom air valve - fixable?

Trying to fix my front brakes I got the Suzuki piston cup set plus a proper tool to insert the snap ring which really made it easy to assemble. I thought the problem was the snap ring not being in far enough into the cylinder (in the groove for the rubber boot), but apparently I didn't diagnose it well enough. Now I see that when bleeding the system I have a bubbling drip out of the bottom hole - is that a spring/check ball for a vent or something? Is it fixable, perhaps some crud got in there? I am thinking maybe I can poke a wire in there and blast with brake cleaner perhaps. Help!
    Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
    '79 GS100E
    Other non Suzuki bikes

I let my MC and components sit in this tank of cleaning solvent for a couple of days...cleared those tiny holes out!

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

OK took it apart and not a dirt issue. The hole goes through to the groove the circlip goes into, so it's past the seal. Makes sense, there is no way you can have a hole in a pressure chamber - duh. I realize I have the cup that goes in the little metal housing that slides over the aluminum piston shaft backwards, and that allowed pressure to seep past the seal. I read up on it on the forum as another person had the question and I misinterpreted it. And now I just simply analyze its operation and see how I screwed up. Oh well, mistake #6527234 and counting!

This is the old internals, took pic to show how it's assembled. I can't see how it would be any other way unless the middle black metal part that slides over the aluminum piston is backwards. But if it were the other way the cup would be too far in I think, possibly past the smaller fluid hole. I will bleed it tomorrow.

Last edited by oldGSfan; 10-18-2020, 10:36 PM.
      Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
      '79 GS100E
      Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Crap, still got fluid coming out of that hole, not even any pressure yet, just filled up reservoir and left it a while Getting frustrated, I've rebuilt probably a couple dozen MCs before and this one has me stumped for now.
        Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
        '79 GS100E
        Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Use an EX650 master cylinder unless you're worried about originality. I have one somewhere but I think it's remote reservoir type... They are easy to get anyway.
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Thanks, well I'd like to keep stock. The bore is clean and it should work. I will let it sit for a bit while I do other stuff, and come at it with fresh eyes a bit later.
            Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
            '79 GS100E
            Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Is it an OEM kit? The KL ones are known to have issues..
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Yes it's a brand new OEM kit, was sealed in a Suzuki package from Partzilla. Something basic is wrong, Assembly/direction of the middle piece and cup has me wondering. Somehow fluid is getting past that one I think, because it held pressure and the brakes worked fine, just leaked, so the primary would seem to be OK. There's an O-ring and a cup that fits inside the metal housing. It is weird and frustrating as I've had it on 3x now.

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                Is it an OEM kit? The KL ones are known to have issues..
                Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                '79 GS100E
                Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Thanks so much, got Email. The little cup tucks inside the metal slide piece. It can't go anywhere else, it's the same hole opening as the piston, and same outer diameter as the location it goes in on the slide piece. It makes sense that it should have the cup oriented the same way as the primary cup. So I'm a bit baffled but will ruminate on it while I work on some other bikes.

Originally posted by D Roberts
                  Tom, I sent you an email with a photo re the Master Cylinder. No luck attaching pic here.

I originally joined this forum in September 2006.....Owned my 83 GS 1100E from new.

Re kitted front master January 2016. Genuine Suzuki kit. your spring, cup, the really thin washer, then piston big end, then the metal slide piece with o ring is correctly positioned. The next part...the cup...... do not recall seeing that.
                  Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                  '79 GS100E
                  Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Looks like I fixed it, no leaks and a solid lever. Last time I had the circlip in the right place but it was very tricky to get it pushed in far enough, I wonder if something was binding inside. Now time to ride.
                    Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                    '79 GS100E
                    Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Are you talking about some fluid coming out of the hole at the bottom of the reservoir? I find that it is normal for some fluid to come out of the hole as the piston is depressed. The piston and its seal have to retreat past this point when you release the lever so that the master's bore can be refilled with fluid. When the piston then is depressed and travels past this hole, some fluid will be returned to the reservoir. Some masters even have a baffle plate over the hole to help control this flow. Now if you have air in the system, it will be dramatic as the air is trying to return to the reservoir as it will want to travel upwards.
                      Anyway, it sounds like you got it covered, some of these motorcycle brakes can be a pain to bleed too. One of my bikes I have to constantly tap the point where the brake lines split for the left and right caliper as air always loiters there.
                      1981 Suzuki GS250T
                      1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
                      1985 Suzuki GS550E
                      2004 Suzuki GSF1200S

Comment

No not the internal hole, I know that one can shoot fluid up in the air so when I bleed, I go real slow (and use a vacuum pump), put cap on, etc - there is an external hole you can see from underside, close to the lever pivot. It may be a safety drain or something. I poked a wire through it and it passes through to the groove where the rubber boot fits, so it's well past any 'working' area. It would only be dripping from there due to something wrong internally and fluid getting past the second seal that is in the metal housing. I recall when assembling the time before (when it leaked) that things didn't seem right, it was really tough to push the piston down far enough to get the circlip in. Something hinkey was going on inside but when I took apart, nothing was munged. All is good in brake land now.

Originally posted by fbody_mike View Post
                        Are you talking about some fluid coming out of the hole at the bottom of the reservoir? I find that it is normal for some fluid to come out of the hole as the piston is depressed. The piston and its seal have to retreat past this point when you release the lever so that the master's bore can be refilled with fluid. When the piston then is depressed and travels past this hole, some fluid will be returned to the reservoir. Some masters even have a baffle plate over the hole to help control this flow. Now if you have air in the system, it will be dramatic as the air is trying to return to the reservoir as it will want to travel upwards.
                        Anyway, it sounds like you got it covered, some of these motorcycle brakes can be a pain to bleed too. One of my bikes I have to constantly tap the point where the brake lines split for the left and right caliper as air always loiters there.
                        Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                        '79 GS100E
                        Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Working...
                        X