82 650E - 290mm brake rotor options...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 650E - 290mm brake rotor options...

Hi all, I recently swapped the font end of my GS650e with a 2004 sv650 setup. Included with the swap was brakes, modern(er) twinpot calipers, looking pretty sweet right now but I need to find some brake rotors to fit the new setup.

I'm trying to keep/use the stock GS wheel which has a 6 bolt mount for 276mm rotors, but the SV650 brakes user a 5 bolt mount 290mm disc. All the 290mm rotors I've found are 5 bolt which puts me in a pickle. I've checked GSX600f, CBR600 and even 2002 Suzuki Boulevard discs, all 5 bolt patterns. DR650s use a 290mm front disc, but the starting thickness is only 4mm which is spec limit for the SV650 calipers.

Do I: buy 5 bolt discs and drill new mounting holes? Are there larger discs with a 6 bolt compatible mount I'm missing? Buy/make an adapter plate?

To pre-answer some questions:
    • I bought SV the front end without a wheel and/or discs
    • I could look at getting an SV wheel setup, but I'd like the wheels to match.
      • Also, I bought a new front tire last season, and I haven't been able to find one locally and/or reasonably priced so I'm going with the stock wheel

• I've read through the Ninja Brake bracket threads and it's very cool, there may be a similar answer for this too
      • If a bracket/adapter is the best option, the stock calipers/pads/rotors are in good working order

Any suggestions for my rotor issue?
    Last edited by KillerGriller; 01-31-2022, 06:38 PM.
    1982 GS650e - Cafe or Scrambler...that is the question...

The closest is the 295mm CBR one we use but you'll need to space it out a long way from the hub I expect as the SV forks are surely a lot wider or move the calipers in a lot.... Don't scrimp on brake pads. The cheap ones have a thinner backing plate & make the issue you noticed with thickness of rotor potentially worse.

If you're lucky you'll have enough space in the throat of the caliper for the extra 2.5mm if not then you'll have to get a flat rotor with a much larger spider & have some kind of stepped spacer machined...
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Did you ever figure out a solution?

Comment

Originally posted by grim177 View Post
        Did you ever figure out a solution?
        Yes and no. I got distracted in February by a really cheap basket-case bike that was "all there", and "easy to just put back together", that I could ride this summer while taking my time with the GS. Things didn't go as planned...

For the GS, I decided to stick with the SV650 setup (fork, calipers, pads) and machine a spacer/adapter plate that sits between the wheel and rotor. There is enough space with the wider SV fork to accommodate an adapter plate, you just have to ensure you have proper spacers etc. to keep the wheel centered and keep everything running true.

I haven't completed it yet, but currently I have the SV calipers mock-mounted on the SV fork with the GS wheel and stock rotors; to sit over/on the stock rotors the calipers need to sit off the forks about 5mm which is why I believe the spacers will work. In theory (famous last words), a properly sized adapter plate should push the SV rotors out to where the calipers need them to sit.
        1982 GS650e - Cafe or Scrambler...that is the question...

Comment

Working...
        X