GS1000 Base Gasket Replace. w/ Pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by paintmann111 View Post
    What was that wrench on the cam for anyways?
    to keep the cam shaft in place while undoing the bolts at the journals, so the camshaft doesnt tilt, i suspect
    GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
      to keep the cam shaft in place while undoing the bolts at the journals, so the camshaft doesnt tilt, i suspect
      Bingo............
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
        Bingo............
        Yeppers. The manual recommends doing that.

So, What should I use to bond the base gasket to the case and cylinders? I'm not there yet, but I want to get it in advance. Anything for the head gasket?
        Last edited by Guest; 02-23-2008, 12:14 PM.

Comment

When I rebuilt my 650 topend, I oiled the base gasket and installed the head gasket dry. I think you could use a little sealer on base if desired, but keep head gasket dry, it should compress on final head torquing and seal without anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Billyboy View Post
            Yeppers. The manual recommends doing that.

So, What should I use to bond the base gasket to the case and cylinders? I'm not there yet, but I want to get it in advance. Anything for the head gasket?
            Base gasket - grease it with a light coat of lithium

Head gasket - Do not ever put anything on your head gasket

Be sure you don't forget the egg shaped "O" rings at the back corners between the cases and block
            Plus the one around the cam chain well between the head and block
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
              Base gasket - grease it with a light coat of lithium

Head gasket - Do not ever put anything on your head gasket
              i second this
              GS850GT

Comment

Thanks for all the detailed pics. I'm about to tear down the top end of my 1000 too and the pictures sure are a big help.

Comment

Thanks for the help on the gaskets guys.
                  80GS1000, Glad I can help you. I feel I can trudge on through this without a whole lot of fear, being that I've got a spare engine if I screw up too badly.:?

I studied up on the manual this morning while the kids were watching cartoons. Everything looks fairly simple. Which makes me suspicious.

Now I've got to get a torque wrench. For some of the bolts, like cam bearing caps, 7 f/lbs is not a lot.

Should I get an inch pounds wrench and multiply by 12?

Comment

Thanks for the help on the gaskets guys.

Now I've got to get a torque wrench. For some of the bolts, like cam bearing caps, 7 f/lbs is not a lot.

The inch pounds is what I use. You'll probably find it difficult to find a torque wrench that goes from 7-90 ft lb, so you'll need two of them anyway.
                    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

in this part of the world the torque wrenches often come with a conversion chart. there's also one in my manual.

for the cam cover bolts you can tighten the bolts with a spanner only. i would describe it as "not very tight" (lol). saves you money for the second torque wrench. just make sure all the bolts are equally tight. if there's any leak at the gasket, just tighten the bolts a wee bit more
                      Last edited by psyguy; 02-23-2008, 07:31 PM.
                      GS850GT

Comment

I see no reason to grease the base gasket. Greasing is an okay idea when you are going to be back into that area of the engine in the near future (such as the valve cover), but I'd much rather use a light glazing of flexible sealer on something like a base gasket vs. grease since you are not likely to ever visit that gasket again.
                        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                          I see no reason to grease the base gasket. Greasing is an okay idea when you are going to be back into that area of the engine in the near future (such as the valve cover), but I'd much rather use a light glazing of flexible sealer on something like a base gasket vs. grease since you are not likely to ever visit that gasket again.
                          What type of flexible sealer would you suggest. Can you give me a brand name so I can look it up on the web and get something similar here in Oz. Is it a silicon base like Silastic or a Hylomar type product. I am doing the same job on the base gasket in the next couple of weeks. My head is away at the machine shop having the seats done and repairs done to the camshaft retainer bolt holes.

Comment

Only reason I oiled my base was that in order to slide pistons back into cylinder bores, I slopped excess oil all over gasket. Was going to install dry but got oiled in process. Keep this in mind since you will need to lubricate rings to install.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
                              What type of flexible sealer would you suggest. Can you give me a brand name so I can look it up on the web and get something similar here in Oz. Is it a silicon base like Silastic or a Hylomar type product. I am doing the same job on the base gasket in the next couple of weeks. My head is away at the machine shop having the seats done and repairs done to the camshaft retainer bolt holes.
                              Hey Don,

The factory manual does not specify using sealer on the gasket so I think you can safely go dry. If you want an extra measure of assurance some Three Bond flexible sealer would be a good choice - Three Bond makes most of the "Yamabond", "Hondabond" and "Suzuki Bond" products. Not sure which version is best for usage with gaskets so you may have to do a little research.

Edit: I think this is the stuff (sold under various names as mentioned before) http://www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=178

Good luck.
                              Last edited by Nessism; 02-24-2008, 01:03 AM.
                              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
                                What type of flexible sealer would you suggest.
                                unless you are very experienced it may take you a while to slide all the pistons/rings into the cylinders. flexible sealer might go off (dry) by the time you're done and it may get in the way of your hands too (that you'll already have oil on) and make a mess in the process
                                so, i'd either grease it (with a view of an easier removal somewhere down the line) or would leave it dry
                                GS850GT

Comment

Working...
                                X